Welcome to Frugal Workshop where every Monday I share the simple strategies used to save money in my kitchen over the past week, along with the meals that made it to our dinner table. You'll find practical tips on how we saved money on food hopefully to inspire your own meal planning using the foods you have in your own pantry.
My Frugal Week
The Old Country Kitchenware website has this recipe for Old Country Pan Coat. This magical mixture allows cakes to slip from their pan with ease. It's a one-step alternative to buttering and flouring your pans.
I know I've posted a similar pan coat before, but I was watching a Lovina Zook video, a former member of the Swartzentruber Amish community in Iowa, where she mentions this recipe. I wanted to share it with you in case you're interested.
One of my friends gave me a lot of produce last week including mushrooms, which are currently dehydrating for use later. I've also been dehydrating celery as she gave me found packages of celery and I will definitely use that.
Photo of the Week
This is one lady's five gallon bean bucket. Whenever she gets beans from food pantries, food banks, church handouts, or friends, she adds them to this bucket. Then she uses them to make soup, chili, and spicy burrito beans, which makes for zero waste. I thought this was a great idea and wanted to share it with you. We love fifteen bean soup here and this would be very similar to that.Saving Money YouTube Videos
The Back to Basics Kitchen YouTube channel, which has content on basic cooking, canning, bread making, and dehydrating foods, has a video entitled, Foods The USDA Says Will Increase In Price. I watched it the other day as I'm interested in knowing if certain foods we buy will be increasing in price. That way we can stock up before any price increases.
What’s for Dinner
Monday ~ Grilled Chicken Strips, Carrots, Cucumbers.
Tuesday ~ Chicken Breast Filets, Cucumber Tomato Salad.
Wednesday ~ Salmon Patties, Green Beans with Onions & Potatoes.
Thursday ~ Spicy Salmon Sushi, Soup Beans, and Strawberries.
Friday ~ Grilled Chicken, Corn on the Cob, Carrots & Green Beans.
There was a little bit of fresh vegetables, so I put all of them into my Instant Pot and cooked them all at the same time, which made more than enough as a side dish for dinner.
Saturday ~ Chicken Nuggets, Soup Beans, and Strawberries.
Sunday ~ Meatloaf, Green Beans with Onions, and Watermelon.
What’s been on the menu in your home this past week?
Belinda
Homemaker at Heart
~ Living within our Means ~Frugal Workshop Linktree
~ She looketh well to the ways of her household ~Proverbs 31:27
Menu sounds great. It is always so nice to get free food, no matter where it comes from. Thanks for the recipe. I generally just use a little oil, coconut oil, or bacon grease.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Cheryl. You're welcome. I usually just spray mine with whatever cooking spray I happen to have on hand. The big bottles from Gordon's seem to last so much longer than the smaller bottles from the grocery store. I get them when I restock on black olives. :)
DeleteI cooked up a pound bags of pinto beans, some of which I'll keep out for bean, rice, and cheese burritos and maybe some for just a small batch of chili since I have small cans of tomatoes. I probably should thaw some sort of meat as well but the hamburger the other night was so filling Im focused on plant based or at least. Vegetarian meals this week.
ReplyDeleteYour meals for the week sound very good!
ReplyDeleteI also bookmarked the pan coat info. I had never thought of having a chocolate coating, but it makes sense.
I watched the video. THanks for the heads up.
Dear Belinda, I love your menu. It all sounds healthy and delicious 😋
ReplyDeleteGreat ideas, as always, dear friend. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you have a lovely week.
I love beans and I am so happy I do!
ReplyDeleteYour menu sounds really good. I'm working through some freezer items this week, and used up a bag of Costco vegetables intended to be used for roasting. I didn't love the texture on their own, but combined with the rest of the recipe & some chicken sausage + potatoes, it turned out pretty well, and made at least two dinners (for 2) & 2 individual lunches. We also have a few homegrown tomatoes (from a coworker), which we will likely enjoy with fresh mozzarella cheese & basil.Yum! - Hawaii Planner
ReplyDelete