Friday, August 21, 2026

Third Frugal Friday of August 2026

 


Welcome to Frugal Friday

Each Friday here at Frugal Workshop, I love sharing the frugal wins, quiet savings, and simple strategies that helped us stretch our budget over the past seven days. It’s a gentle look back at the small things that make a big difference. 

When Bartering Doesn’t Work

I had an incident happen last week that I want to discuss. Back in June I made a barter arrangement with someone in exchange for garbage service, outside hose repair, roof repair, and weed eating and mowing in exchange for some of Dad’s equipment downstairs. It was a good deal for both of us if he had kept up his part of the arrangement. 

First off he wanted to change our Monday arrangement to Friday. I said no as that is a prime yard sale day in summer, but he had already stopped coming on Monday as he made an arrangement with someone else for another job. Then he backed out of the hose and roof repairs, and when I asked him to work on the lawn, he said he couldn’t for two to three months. Sigh. 

I’ve been burned before by people coming here and thinking they can take advantage of me. He already took a great deal of the equipment and was not fulfilling our agreement. So, after discussing it with Bailey I asked him to bring the equipment back and I would pay him for his services he had done so far. He was not happy, but I can sell the equipment for more money and get the repairs done that way, which is what I plan on doing. 

The moral of the story is that sometimes bartering doesn’t work. Bailey told me I shouldn’t have let him take the equipment before the work was done and she is right. I feel bad but I can’t let someone take advantage of me either, so this is what was going down last Friday when I didn’t post. I gave him his money and wished him the very best. Lesson learned the hard way.

My Frugal Week

Last week I used a $5.00 off Bealls reward when I was buying some Skinny Syrup. 

Monday afternoon I took a tumble backwards and fell onto the concrete floor downstairs and one of Dad’s machines fell onto my foot and leg. I went to urgent care and nothing is broken, just scrapped up and bruised. My doctor has an ace bandage on it for now. 

Earning Money 

I sold my Reel Lawn Mower on Facebook Marketplace for $50 this week. I bought it to mow our yard and then realized it wasn't powerful enough to do the job, so I made the decision to sell it. I only paid $40 for it, so I made a good deal. 

On Sunday I measured and processed fifty-five clothing items for Bailey’s online shops. We barter this with each other and exchange my work for her paying the Internet bill each month, which she has to have for her business. It’s a win-win for both of us. 

I received a payout of $35 from a class action lawsuit I had joined for something I had purchased in the past. It takes so long for one to payout that I don't even recall what it was for now. 

Yard Sale Saturday

Last Friday I went to a yard sale and picked up:

Brute garbage can $2.00
Cat Condo free
S Hooks 25 cents
Blender Shaker Bottle metal inside 25 cents
Hangers 50 cents
Twin Size Bed Platform Frame $2.00
Oyster Food Chopper $1.oo
Wooden Clock $1.00
Aveeno Body lotion 25 cents
Dove soap 3 pack $1.00

Freebies

I was dropping off some trash the other day and found a couple of freebies at the garbage dump. Someone had left some brand new brake pads, which I brought home for Bailey to sell as they are worth $74.95 of the Napa auto parts website. 


I also found a couple of welcome mats and this air stepper fitness machine. We already had one of them upstairs in Bailey's room and now we have one downstairs too.  I put a walker in front of it to hold on as I'm not too steady on it. 

That is my week in a nutshell. How was your week?


Thank you for dropping by my frugal blog, you are always welcome here. 

We would love to hear all about your week in the comment section.


Belinda 🫶 
💕 Homemaker at Heart 💕 
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree

~ She looketh well to the ways of her household ~
Proverbs 31:27

7 comments:

  1. My week has mostly been appointments, and trying to get all harvested and processed in the garden. I can't seem to catch up at all.
    You had a great week, but I am sorry the barter did not work out.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry the bartering didn't work out, but I think you did the right thing by paying the person for the services provided & requesting the item(s) back. It sounds like their schedule didn't align with what was previously agreed & allowing everyone to move on to someone who could better meet your needs is the right approach. - Hawaii Planner

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were quite kind to wish him well. I'm sure he thought his service's to you were at his own convenience ( if he intended to fulfill). It gets old with being treated as an afterthought. You and Bailey work well together and the bartering with her is a great partnership. Im so sorry about your fall. Please let yourself fully heal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bartering is great when it works but less when it doesn't.
    Again, you found some great deals at yard sales.
    Out of curiosity, on average how many resells does Bailey have a week. I've seen youtube videos on it, and it seems to be a profitable business.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you didn't let him get by with that. I am sure he thought you'd be a pushover. Good going for standing up for yourself.
    Hope you are ok after the fall. I had one this week too, must be the week for it. All good here, except a small cut.
    You got some good deals!!! Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a mixed week of good and bad. Sorry to hear about your fall and bad barter, but happy he at least returned your items. He apparently didn't want the items badly enough to actually work for them. Sad. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, there are mean people everywhere.
    I’m glad that the botched trade worked out well in the end!
    It’s been another busy week for us. It’s still harvest time, but despite the hard work, I’m happy about the harvest—and about not having to buy the things we grow ourselves at the supermarket.
    Best regards, Sibylle

    ReplyDelete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...