Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Saving Money on Foods by Making Them From Scratch


I've been cooking on a shoestring budget for over 35 years. I have many recipes and often make things from scratch.  Over the years I've grown and canned my own vegetables, raised my own eggs, and did what I could to save money in my kitchen. 

If you've been a regular reader here or want to browse back through this blog, you can see how I've saved money in my frugal kitchen down through the years. 

There are multiple items you can make at home in your own kitchen to save money. Items such as ketchup, BBQ sauce, mayonnaise, yogurt, cheese, jelly, and many other foods and cleaning items as well.

Sometimes the cost of making food at home depends on the cost of your ingredients in the grocery store. When the price of eggs was high this past summer, we ate less eggs than usual. When we find milk on markdown, it’s a great time to make homemade yogurt. 

Listed below are recipes on my blog that I've made over the years from scratch. And this is just the tip of the iceberg on what you can do in your own kitchen. There are many blog posts and books out there on how to make your own groceries at home.

You can use these recipes to save money in your own kitchen. This is a list that I will add to from time to time, and if you have a recipe to share, please add it in the comment section. We would love to try it in our own kitchens.  

Beanie Weenies

Bisquick Substitute

Cajun Seasoning 

Chocolate Syrup

Dirty Rice

Vegetable Egg Rolls

Enchilada Sauce Recipe

English Muffin Bread

Garlic Butter

Homemade Granola

Honey Butter

Hummus

Onion Soup Mix

Peanut Butter Granola Bars

Pimento Cheese

Potato Salad

Ranch Dressing

Taco Seasoning Mix


Belinda
Mortgage & Debt Free
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree

~ She looketh well to the ways of her household ~
Proverbs 31:27



14 comments:

  1. You are so right about making things from scratch to save money. I do a whole lot of scratch cooking too. I was particularly interested in your teriyaki sauce in your post yesterday. I am going to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bailey really likes the teriyaki sauce and it is so easy to make at home and definitely cheaper than store bought.

      Delete
  2. I love to bake now I just wish I had someone to eat it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Kim. 😢 I always had Mom here to eat anything I cooked and I don’t have that anymore.

      Delete
    2. I share my foods sometimes with our post mail person. She loves my baked goods and when it's hot out, I alway sleeve a cool bottle of water in the mailbox. Makes good friends. Also, the ladies at the bank love anything I bring in. It's nice to see the joy on their faces.

      Delete
    3. Oh, that is so sweet of you. 💕 when I use the valet parking at the hospital here, I bring them a box of Little Debbie’s and they are always so excited. 😂

      Delete
  3. I do mainly scratch too. Thanks - nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving your money saving series!
    I'm really trying to save more money since dh was laid off, and your tips really help.
    Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. And you’re welcome. We can all learn together by sharing our know how. 😊

      Delete
  5. Making your own stock for soups is super easy. Just save all bones and skin if you can and after adding pepper corns, onion, celery, parsley and a cut up carrot with the top put in your slow cooker or on the stovetop and cook for a long time. Smells great and tastes wonderful.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That is a perfect addition to making your own groceries at home. Thank you, Jackie. 💕

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the recipes. I make a few of them but it's always great to learn a few more.

    ReplyDelete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...