Monday, September 4, 2023

Saving Money in my Frugal Kitchen & Menu Plan Monday

 

Saving Money in my Frugal Kitchen


My Frugal Week

This week I made a version of Shoepeg Salsa/Cowboy Caviar to have a refreshing salsa  type dish to go with our meals. I used three tablespoons olive oil, two tablespoons red wine vinegar, two tablespoons lime juice, and then one teaspoon oregano, basil, paprika, onion and garlic powder. I also put one tablespoon of monk fruit instead of sugar. 

For the salsa part I used one can of corn, pinto beans, tomatoes, black beans, and also added part of a chopped onion and yellow bell peppers. The recipe is very versatile and chick peas or black eyed peas would also make good additions. We’ve enjoyed it multiple times this week and it goes well on top of a salad too. 

Freebies


We went to the free trading post on Sunday and this is what we picked up for free: 
a two pound bag of soup beans, one can of pizza sauce, and three potatoes. 

Recipe of the Week

This is a very hearty soup chock full of vegetables. If I had my choice, I would still prefer real cabbage rolls, but this has a nice flavor too. 

Stuffed Cabbage Soup


Ingredients:


1 & ½  pounds lean ground beef

4 cups chopped green cabbage

2 cups chopped yellow onion

1 ¼ cups chopped carrots

1 cup chopped celery

2 tablespoons light brown sugar

1 tablespoon smoked paprika

1 teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon ground pepper

1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce

4 cups low sodium chicken broth


Directions:


Brown ground beef until the meat is cooked thoroughly. 

Add cabbage, onion, carrots and celery.

Cook until the onion is translucent.

Add brown sugar, paprika, salt, and pepper to the beef mixture.  Cook until the spices are toasted, about 1 minute. 

Stir in tomato sauce and broth.

Bring the soup to a boil and reduce heat to low. 

Cover and cook for 30 minutes. 


What’s for Dinner

Monday ~ Baked Chicken, and Salad. 

Tuesday ~ Baked Salmon, Sweet Potato, Steamed Broccoli. 

Wednesday ~  Grilled Chicken and Steamed Broccoli. 

Thursday ~  Baked Salmon, Rice Pilaf, Sauteed Cabbage, Shoepeg Salsa. 

Friday ~ Stuffed Cabbage Soup and Southern Spoonbread. 

Saturday ~ Grilled Chicken, Corn Salsa, Garden Salads. 

Sunday ~ Repeat of Friday night dinner. 

What’s on the Menu for This Coming Week

I didn’t make the quiche or soup beans last week as some of our meals made enough to eat the next day too. I can always put those dinners on the menu for this week. Be sure to come back next week to see what we serve for dinner in our home this week. 
 resourceful and raid your cupboards or

Belinda
Mortgage & Debt Free
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree

~ She looketh well to the ways of her household ~
Proverbs 31:27


12 comments:

  1. I have made a similar cabbage soup - it is tasty. Sometimes I add rice - more like a cabbage roll for me.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Belinda. What is Southern Spoonbread? I'm in Oklahoma so I guess I'm not far enough south to know about it lol. Sky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Southern Spoonbread is like a corn casserole/cornbread type of dish, and goes by several different names. Here is the recipe, and It's delicious!

      Corn Casserole ~ Southern Spoon Bread ~ Indian Pudding

      Southern Spoon Bread has a rich and storied history believed to be of Native American origin and specifically the early Sewee tribe of South Carolina. The first printed version of this recipe appeared in Mary Randolph’s, The Virginia Housewife in 1828 entitled, Indian Pudding.

      The Jiffy mix website calls their recipe Spoon Bread and is very similar to this recipe, but also calls for two eggs and the smaller (8 & 1/4 ounce) cans of corn and cream style corn.

      Corn Casserole ~ Southern Spoon Bread ~ Indian Pudding
      Ingredients:
      1 can of corn, drained
      1 can of creamed corn
      1 cup of sour cream
      1 stick of melted butter (½ cup)
      1 box of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix
      1 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)
      Directions:
      Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
      In a bowl, mix all of the ingredients together.
      Pour into a greased 10 x 10 baking dish.
      Cook uncovered for 45-50 minutes or until lightly browned.


      Delete
    2. Thanks! We love corn and cornbread so this sounds good. Sky

      Delete
    3. You’re welcome, Sky. I’m happy to share. 😊

      Delete
  3. Oh, the cabbage soup with rice sounds good. When I have cabbage, I always make egg roll in a bowl or coleslaw. I have a head of cabbage in my fridge that I need to decide how to use. Maybe i'll try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, we love egg roll in a bowl here too. You can also use rice in the recipe as Cheryl suggested, but your I think dh is doing low carb, so you may want to leave that out.

      Delete
  4. The cabbage soup sounds so delicious I am bookmarking this page. TheHub is hot weather soup averse, but fall will be here before too long.__Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your recipes sound tasty! I love salsa and cabbage rolls, so I look forward to trying your recipes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...