Monday, September 18, 2023

Saving Money in my Frugal Kitchen ~ Meal Plan Monday

 

Saving Money in my Frugal Kitchen


My Frugal Week

We stopped in at the apple orchard on Saturday and bought a peck of Honey Crisp apples. There were some big apples in there and we ended up with 22 apples and the cost was $18.00 and they are delicious.

Recipe of the Week

This is a tried and true family favorite I’ve served in my home since 1989. I used to feed the sauce to Bailey when she was just starting to eat real foods. It’s easy to make in the crockpot on those days when you are busy doing something else. 

Swiss Steak


Ingredients:


2 pounds round steak

1/4 cup flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 stalk celery, chopped

2 carrots, peeled and chopped

1;4 cup chopped onion

1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1 - 8 ounce can tomato sauce


Directions


Cut steak into serving pieces.

Dredge in flour mixed with salt.

Place in Crockpot.

Add chopped vegetables and Worcestershire sauce.

Pour tomato sauce over all.

Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.

 

What’s for Dinner

Monday ~ Last of the Asian Stir-fry, Pear Salad, Green Peas, Scalloped Potatoes. 

Taco Tuesday ~ I thawed some chicken thighs in the refrigerator overnight and put those into the crockpot on Tuesday with taco and fajita seasoning mix. We made tacos out of them for dinner that night. I served them with tortillas, lettuce, tomato, onions, and cheddar cheese. 

Wednesday ~ Chicken Tacos with tortillas, cheese, lettuce, tomato and onions. 

Thursday ~ Baked Chicken Tacos, Corn on the Cob, Salad. 

Friday ~ I was on my own for dinner tonight, so I had a strawberry banana smoothie for dinner. It was cold and refreshing. 

Saturday ~ We were out of the house most of the day, so came home and cut up apples to have with peanut butter or tuna salad with crackers. We also have a couple of apple dumplings we picked up at the apple orchard. 

Sunday ~ I woke up early on Sunday and placed six chicken breasts in the crockpot for chicken today and some other days this week. I served the chicken breast with a can of mixed vegetables and made brown gravy to cover it all. 

What’s on the Menu for This Coming Week

This week I’m going to make a healthy version of Veg-All chicken casserole, Tacos, Soup Beans with Cornbread, Chicken Quesadillas, Chicken Enchiladas, Salmon, and Chili. Be sure to come back next week to see what sides we serve with these main dishes.


Belinda
Mortgage & Debt Free
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree

~ She looketh well to the ways of her household ~
Proverbs 31:27


12 comments:

  1. Great deal on the apples! I like to pick up a new variety to try each year, but I think honey crisp are still my favorite.
    Thanks for the recipe; it sounds tasty, and I have some cubed steak in the freezer. I think I may fix chicken burrito bowls for supper, although since it is cheeseburger day, I may pick up some cheap hamburgers. :)
    Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honey Crisp are my favorite apples too, Kathy. I just love them. Cube Steaks are so good, but so are chicken burrito bowls as well. Either one or hamburgers would be delicious for dinner.

      l I hope you have a great week too.

      Delete
  2. It all sounds yummy. I love apples and peanut butter - a fun fall snack for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The apples sound fabulous! When we lived in Washington, there were always so many varieties to buy at a very inexpensive price. We get lots of great produce in California, but not many apples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I've been eating an apple every day. I would love to be in California with all that fresh produce, although the cost of living there is higher than here.

      Delete
  4. I love honey crisp apples. In fact there are the only apple I eat.The cheapest I ever find them (rarely) is .99 a pound so you found a great bargain there.
    I put round steak on my list to watch for a sale, and am bookmarking this to make when I find it.___anne in the kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too and 99¢ a pound is great when you can find it. I have the round steak on my list too waiting on a sale. Great minds think alike. 😊

      Delete
  5. I so wish we could get round steak here once again. So many good recipes and round steak was one of the cheapest beef cuts available for years.

    I also love Honey Crisp apples.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cost is the very reason we’ve not had this in a long time, and it’s the same with cube steaks. I’m hoping to find both on sale sometime and include them in our menus soon.

      Delete
  6. Hi Belinda. I noticed Rhonda from Down to Earth is blogging again. I thought you would like to know. Take care. Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! How exciting! Thank you for letting me know, Barb.

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...