Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Saving Money with Eggs

Eggs make an excellent basis for main dishes as they contain high quality protein. When eggs are plentiful and the price permits, they serve as an excellent alternative to expensive meat. Eggs have come down in price considerably over the last two months, which makes them an inexpensive meal idea again.

It takes two eggs to provide enough protein for one person, but if you can only use one egg person you can increase the protein by adding cheese, milk, or cottage cheese.

Eggs are cheaper than meat for your protein needs when one dozen eggs are less than one pound of beef, pork, fish, or chicken.

Here are a couple of ideas to use eggs in your main dishes for dinner:

Fluffy Baked Omelet

Easy Sausage Quiche

And here is a recipe for deviled eggs, which we really enjoy. 

Deviled Eggs

Ingredients:

6 boiled eggs
2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
1 & 1/2 Tablespoons Sweet Pickle Relish
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
Salt & Pepper
Paprika for Garnish

Instructions:

Cut the eggs in half lengthwise.
Carefully remove yolks.
Mash yolks with mayonnaise.
Add mustard, relish, salt, and pepper.
Stir well.
Spoon egg yolk mixture into egg whites.
Garnish with paprika, if desired.


Belinda
Mortgage & Debt Free
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree

~ She looketh well to the ways of her household ~
Proverbs 31:27




12 comments:

  1. I just love eggs scrambled or in other foods. I never quit buying them, no matter the price. I use same recipe, sort of. I use Miracle Whip and use half dill and half sweet relish. Chop up the eggs and it makes delicious egg salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious! Sometimes I’ll add some dried dill to the deviled eggs too, which gives them a nice flavor. I didn’t quit buying eggs when the went up in price either, we just didn’t buy as many as we usually buy. 😊

      Delete
  2. The price of eggs still hasn't come down here in Canada where I live,they are $3.79/doz. of store brand eggs so we don't eat as many as we used to because we live on a small gov.t pension.The rare occasions when they go on sale I will pick up a couple of extra cartons and freeze them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is a lot of money for eggs. Do you think they will ever come down in price for you? I definitely hope they do.

      Delete
    2. I kind of doubt it with the way things are going in the world.Our fed. gov.t keeps increasing the carbon tax and utility costs which increases the cost of fuel and transportation and manufacturing etc.plus we had poor crops this year due to the drought so feed prices will be increasing also.We live in an agricultural area of our province so we see what's happening where people in the bigger cities don't.Farmers are downsizing their cattle & pigs because they can't afford to feed them but the price of meat hasn't come down.I expect food prices are going to increase even more this winter.I see The States experiencing a lot of the same things that we are so keep your stock pile up !

      Delete
    3. Keeping our stock piles up is great advice. I can recall when cattle ranchers were having trouble feeding their cattle here in the states, so they downsized and I believe that is why the price of beef is so high here now because there aren’t as many beef growers as there was even a few years ago. I don’t know where all this will end, but I hope we see better days ahead.

      Delete
  3. I love eggs fixed all kinds of ways. Such an inexpensive protein.
    They have sure come back down in price. I knew they would, when people were panicking - things most always do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, people panic in tines like that. I didn’t do any panic buying when Covid first struck, but we did get chickens when eggs went sky high.

      Delete
  4. Yum! I love eggs, and I'm so glad that they are cheaper now. Your recipes sound tasty, and I'm going to try your quiche soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome, Kathy. We like eggs too and are so glad they’ve come down in price.

      Delete
  5. I use Thousand Island dressing in the egg yokes for quick deviled eggs. -Rosa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter really enjoys Thousand Island. I need to try this for her. Thanks, Rosa.

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...