Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Homemade Garlic Butter

The other day I made some homemade Garlic Butter to spread on the Italian Bread I bought to serve with the Lasagna I made.  

When I was growing up my mother used Lawry's Garlic Spread to make garlic bread, and it is a good tasting product, but very expensive considering the amount in the bottle. 

Right now, Amazon is selling the product for $6.11, which is expensive to me considering there is only six ounces in the bottle.


Nowadays, I make garlic bread different ways, depending on what I have on hand, and what my energy level is at the moment. 

I've made garlic bread simple by toasting bread and buttering it and sprinkling it with garlic powder and I've made it more elaborate as well. 

Here is how I made it this week. 

Garlic Butter

Ingredients:
2 sticks butter - $1.25
6 Garlic Cloves - 50¢
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 25¢


I chopped the garlic until fine, and made sure the butter was softened to room temperature, and then added enough EVOO both for flavor and to make it smoother to spread. 

You can add as much garlic as you like. Here is what the finished product looks like:


I then spread this on my bread of choice and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes, and make sure I save the leftover garlic butter to use at a later date.


So for less than $2.00 or so, I've made enough garlic butter to last for several meals, which costs a lot less money than the Lawry's Garlic Spread that I grew up using. 

That saves me money and that is what we are all about here at the Frugal Workshop.

Belinda 
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do, do without”

6 comments:

  1. Sounds good, Belinda. What I do it melt a stick of butter/margarine and sprinkle in some garlic powder (i watch my salt). I brush this onto presliced bread then wrap it in foil before baking it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do similarly, but I also add in some Italian seasoning blend. I guess that makes it more of an "herbed" spread, but it is good with lasagna and such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gena, that does sound good. Even some Parmesan cheese would be good mixed into it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made it to go on some biscuits its delicious I too added some garlic powder.

    ReplyDelete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...