Thursday, August 4, 2011

Tuna Pate in my Frugal Kitchen

For dinner today I am going to serve a copycat version of Cracker Barrel’s Grilled Chicken Tenderloins just like the ones they serve on their Grilled Chicken Salad. I'll be using my last 2.5 pound bag of $4.99 chicken from Aldi's grand opening sale.


My daughter loves this salad and orders it whenever we have the chance to go to Cracker Barrel. There are copycat versions of this recipe all over the Internet, but this one from Southern Plate looked the best to me and this is the one I’m going to duplicate in my frugal kitchen today.  

 I’ll serve this with Potatoes with Peas, Fried Okra & sliced tomatoes, both from the garden, homemade bread, and sweet iced tea


The tomatoes are coming in quick right now, and as a result I’ve been busy canning.  Today I’ve canned homemade salsa and pizza sauce. 

On Wednesday I canned another half dozen pints of tomatoes.  This has been a banner year in our garden for tomatoes and there are still many more to be picked and canned
.


This morning I also put a dozen eggs on to boil in order to make egg salad, and to have on hand for snacks. I also made a batch of Tuna Pate to have on crackers or as sandwiches. Both of these will be served at lunchtime along with some grape tomatoes from the garden

Tuna Pate

Ingredients:

1 large can or 2 small cans of tuna, drained well
1 - 8 ounce block of cream cheese, softened to room temperature
3 Tablespoons Chili Sauce
2 Tablespoons Parsley
1 Tablespoon Dried Onions
1/4 teaspoon Hot Sauce 

Directions:

Using a hand mixer, mix the tuna and cream cheese until well blended.
Add other ingredients and mix well.
Refrigerate, overnight if possible.

2


Here is a picture of the brand new bread machine I picked up at a yard sale for $3.00 this summer. The lady I bought it from had taken it out of the box, but never used it. She was asking $5.00 for it, but didn’t have any change, so she gave it to me for $3.00, which I happened to have in one dollar bills. 

I am completely out of bread right now and rather than go to the store for bread, I decided to make a loaf in the bread machine.  That not only saved me money but gas and wear and tear on my car as well
.




 

So what have you been working on in your Frugal Kitchen today? Is your garden produce coming in now? What’s for dinner at your house?


Belinda 

4 comments:

  1. Great deal on the bread machine! I have the exact same one, bought at a thrift store for $8 (?). It was very affordable and has more than saved $8 for me. I make my own rolls, bread, pizza, even hot cross buns at Lent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Sounds like you really use yours a lot. I'm going to try it for pizza dough soon. I have hamburgers in the freezer, but no buns, so might try that soon too. I think it will definitely save money...sounds like yours has too. :)

    ReplyDelete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...