Tuesday, May 17, 2011

WFD: Bean & Cheese Enchiladas



This is a tried and true family favorite. This is a meatless dish, so it is also very economical to make. 

As you can see there is a can of black olives in the picture, which is not in the ingredient list. I added them to the bean mixture and a couple for the top of the dish just to give it some more bulk. 

At other times, I have added Mexican rice to the bean mixture and at other times I have also added ground beef, which had been browned. This is a very forgiving dish that you can play around with. 

I used up the two cans of refried beans I found last month for 35 cents at Bi-Lo's crash and burn section. 

The cheese is from the 5 pound package I bought last month at Sam's Club. I broke it down into smaller, easier to use packages. I did not use the Monterrey jack cheese called for in the recipe. I used what I had on hand, which was cheddar cheese. 

This dish cost around $5.00 to make and served both of us for dinner and I have enough left over for two or three more dinners, so as you can see this is a very economical dish. 

I served this with Mexican rice, a salad and fruit cup as you can see from the picture below. I'm going to post the recipe for the Mexican rice in a separate post. 

Bean & Cheese Enchiladas

Ingredients:

12 flour or corn tortillas
16 ounce can refried beans
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup Monterrey jack cheese, shredded
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 & 1/4 cups enchilada sauce

Directions:
 
Mix the beans, 1/2 of the cheeses, the sour cream and the cumin together in a bowl.
Warm tortillas in the microwave to soften them.
Place a portion of the filling in the center of a tortilla.
Roll up tucking under the ends.
In a 13 x 9 dish place half the enchilada sauce.
Place enchiladas on top of the sauce.
Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
Pour remaining sauce over the top of the enchiladas.
Sprinkle the remaining cheddar and Monterrey jack cheese on top of the enchiladas.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Serve with additional sour cream, guacamole, or salsa if desired. 





4 comments:

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...