Monday, November 27, 2023

Saving Money in my Frugal Kitchen #4 November 2023 ~ Menu Plan Monday

 

Saving Money in my Frugal Kitchen


My Frugal Week

I'm down to one egg in my kitchen, but we have about eight cartons of liquid eggs after finding a deal on them at IGA, so I put some in the freezer and will use those up until they are gone. 

I gathered up all the leftovers from the week and gathered them together in one spot in the refrigerator, so now they are front and center and ready to be used up to avoid food waste. I added the small amounts of leftover corn and pinto beans to the chili, and no one was the wiser. 

On Sunday I made some cranberry sauce using a bag of 99 cent cranberries I found in the markdown section at Kroger. I boiled them with one cup of water, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 fresh squeezed orange juice. When it was cooled off I added some orange zest. 

I've also been having hot tea and hot chocolate on these cold mornings this week. 

I did an inventory of my canned goods yesterday. With Friday being the beginning of the new month I'll be grocery shopping and having a list of food we have on hand makes that so much easier. 

Recipe of the Week

Belinda's Fruit Salad


Ingredients:


2 apples, peeled and diced

2 red pears, diced

2 stalks celery, diced

1 cup walnuts

1 cup raisins

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon sugar

Vanilla yogurt


Directions


Mix together all ingredients except yogurt.

Add enough yogurt to make it as saucy as you would like.

Enjoy!


Photo of the Week



A free pie pumpkin from our no spend group.


What’s for Dinner

Monday ~ Little Smokies, Cornbread Dressing (had to sample), Corn. 

Tuesday ~ I made the Chili today for our Thursday company and had that for dinner. Bailey had a Chicken BBQ Pizza for movie night.

Wednesday ~ I had one pie crust left, so I decided to make a Sausage Quiche for dinner tonight and served that with some dressing, and purple cabbage and onions. I also had some Touchstone Gold radishes with their bright orange hue to go with dinner. 

Thursday ~ Chili and Southern Spoon Bread ~ If you click on the chili recipe, please ignore the prices as I can no longer get ground beef for $2.00 per pound. I also made my version of Waldorf Salad above in case anyone wanted some. 

Friday ~ Thanksgiving family dinner at my BIL's home. We had Turkey, Ham, Dressing, Mashed Potatoes, Corn Casserole, Macaroni & Cheese, Deviled Eggs, Cranberry Salad and several desserts. 

Saturday ~  Chili Tacos

Sunday ~ Chicken & Dressing, Mashed Potatoes, Green Peas, and the last of the Southern Spoon Bread. I also served this with my homemade cranberry sauce. 


What’s on the Menu for This Coming Week

These are some of the meals I can make this week with the food we have on hand. Be sure to come back next week to see what sides we serve with these main dishes.

We are serving two meatless meals this week to save money on meat.

Cottage Pie
Lentil Loaf
Salmon Patties
Chicken & Dressing
Crockpot Cowboy Beans
Quiche using Eggs in a Carton
Smoked Sausage, Potatoes & Green Beans with Onions


Belinda
Homemaker at Heart
Mortgage & Debt Free
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree

~ She looketh well to the ways of her household ~
Proverbs 31:27


14 comments:

  1. I love cornbread dressing, but I settled for Stove Top. I know they make a cornbread dressing, but it never measures up to mine! I never know where old food is because Tommy puts all food in the refrigerator. I cannot bend or see in the refrigerator to find it. After the fall two weeks ago, my back is worse. However, occasionally he gathers all the used stuff and tells me we should eat it today. He learns and also hate to throw food out. I am glad he does. It certainly pays to keep an eye on food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does, Linda. Like you, We do our best to avoid food waste in our efforts to save money. I’m with you on the Stove Top, it will do in a pinch, but does not compare to my own. I’m so sorry you hurt your back and hope you are well on your way to healing.

      Delete
  2. Your meals sound yummy. Love how you stretch the food to create new meals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your meals sound so good! I know everyone enjoyed the chili; perfect for the colder weather. I need to make some fruit salad as that sounds yummy. I may fix some jambalaya and beans and cornbread for a change this week.
    Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy.

      Yes, the weather turned cold, so the chili was good and hearty for the weather. Oh, Jambalaya and beans and cornbread sound delicious! It's good weather for both of those too..

      I hope you also have a great week.

      Delete
  4. Oh your Thanksgiving dinner at your BIL's sounds fabulously delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rain. It was delicious and we had such a great time.

      Delete
  5. Sounds as if you had an awesome Thanksgiving. As usual you are doing a great job in the no waste department.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie. I worked hard in the kitchen today, so there would be no food waste. It takes effort, but it's important to me. I hope you are doing well. :)

      Delete
  6. Nice job on limiting food waste. :-) I miss real cranberry sauce. Yours sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. I really like cranberry sauce and homemade is the best.

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...