Friday, March 23, 2018

Frugal Friday ~ 3~23~2018

On Monday I missed a call to sub by just a few seconds. Arrgg! So instead of working, I stayed home and made potato soup for dinner. 

And you know what happened? Bad storms came our way and schools let out at 1 o'clock as a result. After Monday I was able to work the entire week and now we are on Spring Break. 

Being on Spring Break will give me the chance to stay home, which is what I did this past weekend. We're going to eat what we have on hand, make do with what's here and save on gas. I plan on working on some sewing projects. There is joy in ordinary days like this. 

The weekend weather was warm, but we managed to keep the a/c off and used fans and opened windows to create a cross breeze and cool the house. It's always good to air out the house as well. 
 
Towards the end of the week temperatures plummeted. It was 27 degrees on Thursday morning and I actually turned on some heat in the bathroom when I was getting ready for work. 

Payday fell this week and I paid all of our monthly expenses online saving the cost of postage. It's always a good feeling and gives me peace of mind to have the bills paid. I know I say that regularly, but it's true. There is nothing like being able to sleep at night without worry. 

All meals were made at home this week and all lunches packed and taken to school/work. My daughter has been wanting to stop at Cookout for their large iced tea, which cost $2.18, so I've been extra vigilant about making her tea at home. 

Four of the items that I listed on Ebay last week sold over the weekend. After all the fees I made $36.54 this week from those sales. That is more than enough to fill my gas tank without having to dip into my gas budget for the month.

One item that I use regularly here is my CPAP machine and I needed a new strap for it, which sells for $24.99 on Amazon. I also had, in my possession, one brand new strap that was too small for me.

What I did was list the smaller strap on eBay and sold it this week for $19.99, so some of the money from that sale went to pay for my new strap. I love being able to buy something I need with proceeds from selling something I already had, but could not use.
 
We stopped at the bakery thrift store in Chattanooga the other day and bought our favorite Nature's Own bread for 79¢ per loaf. We also found Dave's Killer Bread for $2.00 a loaf, which is a great price considering it sells for over $5.00 at the grocery store.

What frugal things did you save on this week?

Belinda
~ Living within our Means ~

16 comments:

  1. Great week. God must have kept you home on Monday for a reason. You never know what could have happened being out in that bad weather.

    You are so right. There is so much solace in knowing that your bills are paid and you are not owing.
    Have a restful weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Cheryl. I'm always happy to spend the day at home anyway. :)

      I hope you have a good weekend. :)

      Delete
  2. Have a great spring break Belinda!
    Mine is already over, and during the break I got a lot of work done at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nil. So glad you were able to get a lot of work done in your home on your Spring Break. I love that feeling of accomplishment that comes with getting a lot done. I hope you have a good weekend.

      Delete
  3. You had a great week. We are also beginning our spring break here and Im so ready. I know exactly what you mean by peace of mind once everything is paid, such a great feeling. I used my walmart savings catcher money to buy all the household stuff that was needed for the month. I Love using that to buy things that are needed. :) Have a great spring break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. That's so great that you were able to use the Walmart savings catcher to buy all the household stuff you needed. I love that! I hope you have a great spring break too!

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you had a terrific week, Belinda! Great job on the ebay stuff, especially being able to turn around some of your profits to purchase a needed item. I've only had Dave's Killer bread once. I know it's quite popular with some of the moms for whom I used to do childcare. I thought it was good, but I doubt I would buy it regularly at over $5/loaf. I'm glad your bakery thrift had some for $2/loaf. That's a doable price, when feeding a family.

    I hope that your spring break is a mixture of productivity and relaxation, Belinda. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lili. I've really enjoy having the Dave's Killer bread this week for breakfast. I toasted it lightly and spread with a little cream cheese and it kept me full for a long while. I hope you have a great week too. :)

      Delete
  5. I love Nature's Own bread, but I have never heard of Dave's Killer Bread. Maybe I can remember to look for it next time I go to the Bread Store. I especially love the prices at the Bread Store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the prices at the bread store too, Linda. Dave's Killer bread is one of those whole grain, multiple seeds, very dense bread. It's great for toasting and with cream cheese, but not as good for sandwiches.

      Delete
  6. Even with comfortable salaries now, as remembering the lean times, paying bills is still satisfying. I wish I had access to a bakery outlet again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are grateful for our bakery outlet as it saves us money. Bread can be expensive. And yes, paying bills is satisfying, Sam. It's good to "see" you again. :)

      Delete
  7. I love the comment -- joy in the ordinary days. My favorite days are those when we just "are" rather than rushing to and fro.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in the middle of my crazy season at work. So after working long hours Mon-Thurs, I won't stay late on Friday, I don't have the time nor the want to do anything, which saves me a lot of money. Saturday is my errand day, yesterday Kroger had the big cans of Maxwell House Coffee for $3.99 (the small cans cost more than that at regular price) I only bough 2, the limit was 5. I don't drink coffee, my mom does, but she has cut back so the 5 cans would be a waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is a great deal on the Maxwell House Coffee, Kelly. I don't drink coffee either, but such a great deal. I hope your "crazy season" is going well. That's great that it is saving you money. Can't beat that. :)

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...