Thursday, July 28, 2011

WFD: Thursday 7-28-11 & My Frugal Kitchen today...

Dinner today was homemade chicken tenders, green beans (Dollar General sale) with onions and olive oil, and Cucumber Salad. I had an overabundance of tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers in my kitchen today, so I've been busy taking care of all of that produce so it does not go to waste. I've already posted about the canning I did today, but I also had a big supply of very large grape tomatoes, both red and yellow. 

The first thing I made today was a Cucumber Salad. I found this recipe in a Southern Living magazine that I had picked up at a yard sale one summer.  Since that time I've made this recipe dozens of times and it has become a tried and true family favorite. Perfect for when your garden is filled with cucumbers and tomatoes. 

Cucumber Tomato Salad

Ingredients

2 cucumbers
1 large tomato
1 small green bell pepper
1 small purple onion
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Cut cucumbers and remove seeds with a spoon.
Chop cucumber, tomato, bell pepper, and onion.
Whisk together oil and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl until sugar dissolves. 
(I put the dressing ingredients in a jar & shake well)
Add cucumber mixture, tossing to coat. 
Cover and chill 3 hours.

Another thing I had plenty of today was yellow grape tomatoes, so I looked around for a good recipe and the best thing I could find was to roast them in the oven with some olive oil and basil and oregano. I slow roasted them and it made the whole house smell like pizza, lol. Afterwards I tasted them, but was not satisfied with the taste as they were bitter and the skins were tough. I ended up straining them into a sauce, which smells great, and I stuck it in the freezer for right now to deal with at a later date. We've had a death in the family and need to go to a funeral for the next two days, so I put it up for now.

After canning today I had a pan full of tomato juice, so I strained that today as well to remove the seeds. I ended up with almost a quart of good, homegrown tomato juice, which will be excellent to add to soup the next time I am making soup.  Still have plenty of tomatoes to deal with as soon as everything settles down around here.

What's for dinner at your house today? What is going on in your frugal kitchen?

Belinda
© Belinda Richardson and Frugal Workshop, 2011. 
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do, do without”

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting the Frugal Workshop.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...