Monday, April 29, 2024

Menu Plan Monday ~ Saving Money in our Frugal Kitchen ~ April 29, 2024

                                           


My Frugal Week

On Tuesday I boiled a carton of eighteen eggs to have for the week and also made a gallon of green tea. We continue to use what we have in our pantry and cook from scratch, mostly eating a whole foods diet rather than relying on processed food. 

I made a batch of Minestrone soup this week and made individual bowls for the freezer, which will be nice to pull out for lunches in the future. I ended up with seven individual portions for the freezer. 

Recipe of the Week

This recipe for Cucumber Salad first appeared in a Southern Living magazine that I had picked up at a yard sale one summer.  Since that time I've made this recipe dozens of times and it has become a tried and true family favorite. Perfect for when your garden is filled with cucumbers and tomatoes. 

Cucumber Tomato Salad

Ingredients:


2 cucumbers
1 large tomato
1 small red bell pepper
1 small purple onion
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper


Directions:


Cut cucumbers and remove seeds with a spoon.
Chop cucumber, tomato, bell pepper, and onion.
Whisk together oil and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl until sugar dissolves. 
(I put the dressing ingredients in a jar & shake well)
Add cucumber mixture, tossing to coat. 
Cover and chill 3 hours.

Photo of the Week


Vegetables being sauteed in EVOO for minestrone soup. 



What’s for Lunch


Leftovers, 15 Beans Cajun Soup Beans, Yogurt & Fruit, Cottage Cheese Egg Salad.

 

What’s for Dinner

Monday ~ BBQ Pulled Pork, Green Beans with Onions, and Carrots.

Tuesday ~ Baked Fish, Baked Sweet Potato, Broccoli & Cauliflower. 

Wednesday ~ Salmon Patties, Baked Sweet Potatoes, Green Beans & Onions. 

Thursday ~ Hamburger Scramble, Homemade Scalloped Potatoes, Green Beans with Onions. 

Friday ~ Bailey had book club, so I was on my own for dinner. I made a pot of the Sardinia Minestrone soup and had a bowl for my dinner. 

Saturday & Sunday~ Tacos, Red Onions, Lettuce, Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese (my favorite), Cucumber Tomato Salad, and Corn. 

What’s on the Menu for This Coming Week

We are serving at least one meatless meal this week to save money on meat, so I’ll make Bean & Cheese Enchiladas for dinner one night. I'm also making a Sausage Casserole with Cauliflower Rice. 

Later this week I’ll need to do some grocery shopping, so the rest of the week is undecided right now. Please come back next week to see what we end up making for these dinners. 

What’s been on the menu in your home this past week?


Belinda
Homemaker at Heart
Mortgage & Debt Free
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree

~ She looketh well to the ways of her household ~
Proverbs 31:27


12 comments:

  1. Oh that cucumber tomato salad sounds so good! Can't wait until I have fresh tomatoes in the garden.
    We did the smoked brisket and pork butt last week, and I think I am bbq'd out for a bit. Fixed a roast chicken and have been enjoying that for a few days. No idea what is on the menu for this week. Hoping there will be some sales for Cinco de Mayo as I'm wanting Mexican; avocados so I can make guacamole or mango for salsa. I could make a meal off of chips and salsa. :D
    Have a great and tasty week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just love that salad, Kathy and it's so simple too, which I like.

      Some good Cinco de Mayo sales would be great! Mango salsa would be good. I've always wanted to try a pineapple salsa at the Mexican restaurant, but they are always out of it when we go, unfortunately.
      Your BBQ sounds good and I know what you mean about being BBQ'd out for a while, I have burnout from some of our dishes here too.

      I could make a meal out of cheese dip and chips, no problem at all. I should volunteer for that position, LOL

      I hope you have a great week too, Kathy.

      Delete
  2. The salad looks delicious and will be even more so once fresh local vegetables are in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The salad is definitely something I need to try. One gets a bit tired of tossed salads, or marinated salads. Hope your week goes well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie. Yes, I get tired of tossed salads too.

      Delete
  4. I managed to erase comment. We ate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We ate lots of TexMex this week in Arizona, which is my favorite. We had fajitas x2, carnitas street tacos (the highlight for sure) & one night we shared appetizers. Everything was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, that is some of my favorite food too.

      Delete
  6. Oops, forgot to add my name. The previous comment was from Hawaii Planner.

    ReplyDelete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...