Friday, April 5, 2024

First Frugal Friday of April 2024

 


Welcome to Frugal Friday! 

Quote of the Week & Music 

Hey, 'cause I will soar away like the blackbird
I will blow in the wind like a seed
I will plant my heart in the garden of my dreams
And I will grow up where I want, wild and free ~
Sara Evans

My Frugal Week & Joy of the Week


On Monday morning bright and early our friend Timmy came with help to take down the Bradford Pear tree that was growing and laying on the roof of the house. I had estimates of having the tree removed for both $2,000 and $700, so Timmy 0ffered to do it for $200. A real bargain in my book! It was a beautiful spring day too and perfect weather for this job. 

My Dad had been wanting the tree removed off the house ever since he came back in August. I know, if he were here, he would be glad to have it gone, and I told Timmy that as he and my Dad were friends too. They used Dad's four wheeler to move the limbs to the woods and it  was so great to see so much activity here and it did my heart good. 

On Tuesday I started physical therapy for six weeks on my right shoulder. The orthopedic doctor thinks it's a torn rotator cuff while the physical therapist thinks it's an impingement. I don't relish the idea of going twice a week for six weeks, but it is what it is and I would like some improvement in my pain level. 


I received an Easter card with a very sweet note from my friend and blog reader, Bobi. She also sent me this $2 bill in the card. Wasn't that sweet of her?

I went to my second physical therapy session on Wednesday and had some other errands to run too such as going to Lowe's for wasp traps. We had sprayed all the windows downstairs with Spectracide Wasp Killer, but there were still more wasps. 

Cleaning Dad's Spaces

Last Friday we went downstairs to work on cleaning and decluttering more of Dad's things. We skipped the Friday before as Bailey had book club that evening. We cleaned more in his workshop than his office, and while I was cleaning, I realized that I was sad for him. 


Back when we were growing up, we often cleaned his workshop for him, but as we grew up and moved out, that didn't happen. As I have aged, I realized he was very independent and a private person, so he would not have wanted me to see these areas in the latter years of his life. But, I would have helped him in a heartbeat if he wanted me to help, and it just made me very sad to realize that. 

The summer that the sink/water heater malfunctioned downstairs he was living in Illinois, so Bailey, Mom and I cleaned down there because his office had a couple of inches of water in there. When Dad finally came back a few months later and saw how much we had cleaned he was very impressed. 

So, I do know he would have liked having his areas cleaned and straightened up. I just found it sad that we didn't intervene sooner, although he may not have wanted us to, which is the vibe we felt.  

If you've ever watched any of the Hoarder TV shows, you will probably understand the mental thinking of a hoarder. Mom was the same way, she didn't want people to go through her things. If I emptied a space out, it wasn't long before she would fill the space back up again. 

Freebies

One of the local churches was having a free food giveaway on Saturday. I like to go to these because sometimes they give out fresh fruits and vegetables. Anything that I receive that we can't use, I always donate to the little free pantries around here. 

They gave us Powerades, green chilies, tomatillos, bacon, yogurt, Rice Krispie treats, Hershey kisses, several bags of snacks, carrots, and fruit punch to name some of the items. 

Photo of the Week


It's hard to get my work done when Archie is sitting directly on my clipboard. LOL

Savings of the Week

Walmart had their foil packages of meats like salmon, chicken and tuna on markdown this week, so I took advantage of several of those. 

Avoiding Spending

Bills were paid on Wednesday, so I couldn't avoid any spending this week and we were low on cat food, so I needed to buy some and also bought gas for my car. 


I will say that I was floored when I saw the price of Great Value EVOO for the one gallon bottle is now priced at $$32.97. Volatile weather patterns in the Mediterranean have impacted the countries that generate olive oil, which hampered the amount produced, which has led to these higher prices. Needless to say, I did not buy any this day.  

What I've been Reading This Week


I finished Little Fires Everywhere book over the weekend and started on A Man Called Ove this week. The Little Fires Everywhere was a very good story, which made it easy to read. Bailey is reading it with me, but she reads more than one book at a time, and is a member of multiple book clubs. It's fun to read books together and then discuss them later. 


Thank you for dropping by my frugal blog, you are always welcome here. 

We would love to hear all about your week in the comment section.


Belinda
Homemaker at Heart
Mortgage & Debt Free
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree

~ She looketh well to the ways of her household ~
Proverbs 31:27


20 comments:

  1. We love cats for just that reason! They are so much fun! But, we have a son who is very allergic and we want him to visit so we will not have a cat. I have seen other mentions on the price of EVOO. I think next time we go to the salvage store I will be on the lookout since they have had it most times we have been there lately and it has been 8.99 for a very large bottle. The news feed this morning said millions of chickens have been put down due to bird flu so I guess we are in for expensive eggs again. It never ends it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I hadn't heard that about the eggs. The last bottle of olive oil I bought was at the closeout store too, so looks like I'll be going back there again soon. I like cats because they are so independent unlike dogs, which I also like. LOL

      Delete

  2. I think your Dad knew that you would help if he needed it. My parents were very independent too, so while they would accept help doing major stuff, it wasn't until they were gone, that we had to go thru everything. It's hard, isn't it. Sending hugs.
    Sweet kitty!
    I enjoyed the movie with Tom Hanks, but I haven't read the book yet. Let us know what you think.
    Hope your shoulder will feel better with therapy. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. Yes, it is hard at times and makes me sad. The men from the church across the road are over here today moving Dad's tractor implements for me. That is so sweet of them. I don't know how we would have gotten them moved otherwise since the hydraulics on Dad's tractor are not working.

      I really liked the Tom Hanks movie too and I'll let you know how the boo turns out.

      I hope you also have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Both books were past bookclub reads. I feel like this a bit, and it's my husband's paperwork. He just had a chaotic style. I'm slowly getting there to change to just my way of managing paperwork. I need to start putting memories on a shelf and purge bigger things too. Good much as you continue with the work, but hugs when it's just too much emotionally and you need a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam. You've described it so well. ((((hugs)))) to you my friend.

      Delete
  4. I am due to start PT for my shoulders when we get back. Haven't had an evaluation from the therapist yet so we shall see if they are in step with the Ortho or not. At any rate, I feel free to say no to an exercise that PT recommends but that may injury me worse. I've been down this PT road before with my TKR. I hope it helps your pain level.
    It's hard dealing with loved ones "stuff" when they pass. I don't care how old you are, it hurts sometimes. Take it slow and at your own pace. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you have had a very productive week, Belinda. I read "A Man Called Ove". I didn't much like the book at first but by the end of the book I was in love with Ove and I cried. I won't give it away but it is a good book. After my mom died, I had to clean out her house in order to sell it. I was pretty much a basket case because I knew I was cleaning out the entire lifetime of both of my parents. It was such a sad time, I understand how hard it is to go through that. Please take time for yourself along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the therapy really helps with your pain. Sometimes I think people kept things, because they grew up without - yet hoarder really can be a fine line to cross.
    Your kitty lets you know what he thinks about the list! Pet me instead!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! Yes, Archie wants some loving. LOL

      That is a very good points about people keeping things.

      Delete
  7. I love how cats know that your busy and they think you should be petting them. I think about the hoarding it might be the time they grew up in and didn't have much. It was like be prepared for everything.
    It must be hard to go threw his stuff. Your doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is part of the reason why I am decluttering now. I don't want to leave it to the boys if something happens to either of us. Still so much more to do around here.
    The price of olive oil of any type is absolutely crazy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie. I am doing the same with my possessions. I don't want Bailey to have to go through my things at the end of my life either

      Delete
  9. I only buy olive oil when it is bogo at Publix. The oil has to be in a bottle, not plastic. Then, I lay them down in the doors of the freezer. That extends the use by date and it does not go rancid.
    You are certainly respecting your father and treating his memory kindly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much, Linda. That means a lot to me. That is a great tip about the olive oil in the freezer!

      Delete
  10. (Little Penpen) I loved A man Called Ove. I haven’t seen the movie, but I want to watch it. I get how you are feeling over your dad’s things. But looking at the photo, I must be a hoarder too, as I see a couple things I’d grab. Haha! Olive oil price??? Omg! I hope you get relief for your shoulder. My hip has been bothering me, but I don’t want to tell my dr, as I dread having to go to therapy. I know that’s what they will say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I dread telling my doctor about any pain as I don't like going to physical therapy. It's such a time commitment! We watched the movie first and now I'm reading about Ove. The movie was really good, I think you'll like it.

      Some people who come by for certain things will grab stuff out of the pile too. I'm the same way as I would take something off a pile of trash too if I saw something I wanted. LOL

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...