Friday, April 28, 2023

Fourth Frugal Friday of April 2023



Welcome to Friday! 

My Frugal Week

Seems like the days fly by so often that another week has passed before I know it, so I played catch up on reading and commenting on multiple blogs this week

We wash our hands at both sinks in our home with bar soap. However, I do have some  pump soap also, and they had started to accumulate under the sink creating clutter to me. So, I decided to use them up to clear them out and make the area more tidy.  I starting with a Christmas based one from Bath and Body Works and have now emptied that one and am working on the next one. 

On Monday I went to Chattanooga for my annual mammogram. I didn’t feel up to running any errands afterwards, so I came home and took a nap instead. 

With the change in temperature, the tires on my car lose pressure, which is aggravating at times. So, I called AAA and they came out and inflated my tires for me. I pay for this service yearly, so I might as well use them when needed.

Photo of the Week

This is life in the country…our local elementary school was taking TCAPS this week and had some visitors. 😂 


Saving Money In My Frugal Kitchen

On Saturday I roasted a whole chicken that I had in the freezer and afterwards took all the chicken off the bones and saved it for several different meals this week. What was left after three days went into the freezer for future meals. 

Our chickens are each laying about one egg per day and we’ve gotten over 100 eggs since they first came to live here. We’ve made all kinds of food with the eggs like breakfast burritos, boiled eggs, deviled eggs, egg salad, and much more. They definitely pay for themselves with their good egg production. 

We were out of sour cream this week, but no worries, I had some cottage cheese on hand and blended that up and mixed in a package of ranch seasoning mix and used that instead. It turned out delicious and just as thick as sour cream would have been.

I had some potatoes that had sprouted in the pantry and I was going to feed them to the chickens, but upon further inspection decided they were too good for the chickens, so made plans to use them for us this week instead. 

We bought a new shelf for our kitchen area this week. We put it together on Monday evening and it’s already came in handy for more storage in the kitchen. 

Meals This Week

All meals are served with either salad or vegetables and may not always be listed here. 

* If you see a dinner in bold print that means we had it more than once this week.

Roasted Chicken, Stove Top Dressing, Green Beans with Onions. 
Chicken, Baked Sweet Potatoes, Green Beans with Onions. 
BBQ Chicken, Roasted Yukon Gold Potatoes, Stir Fry Vegetables. 
Movie Night Pizza
Lemon Pepper Salmon, Baked Russet Potatoes, Sugar Snap Peas. 
Chicken and Shrimp Teriyaki, Stir Fried Vegetables. 
Chicken Tacos, Roasted Potatoes, Stir Fried Vegetables. 
Grilled Chicken Thighs, Roasted Japanese Sweet Potatoes, Broccoli. 

Recipe of the Week

This is a recipe that came from my Mom who worked as the head cashier in a small town grocery store in the early 1990s. It’s a combination of three cans of Campbell’s soups. 

Cream of Celery soup
Cream of Mushroom soup
Cheddar Cheese soup

You mix these three together and do not add water to them. 

Brown one pound of stew meat or roast, season with salt and pepper and then add the soup mixture. As I recall it made the best flavored gravy for the meat. I happen to have all three of these cans in my pantry recently and it reminded me of this recipe, so I wanted to share it with all of you.

What I've been Reading This Week

Save Like Nana Did 


Thank you for dropping by my frugal blog, you are always welcome here. 

We would love to hear all about your week in the comment section.


Belinda
Mortgage & Debt Free
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree

~ She looketh well to the ways of her household ~
Proverbs 31:27



16 comments:

  1. What a hoot to see the cows looking in the doors. Maybe they want to learn new ways!!!! LOL
    Chicken seems to be your theme this week. Good use of that chicken. Sounds like a good variety.

    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cows sure do look curious, Cheryl. 😂

      So many good chicken recipes out there we didn’t get bored. 😊

      I hope you have a good weekend too.

      Delete
  2. One of my favorite things about having chickens is being able to feed them leftover produce, or things from the garden. Recycling it into eggs! I'm also on a mission to use up all soap/shampoo that is hanging around. Less clutter and no reason to buy more when we have it sitting around, even if it isn't the preferred brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Tami! Use it up is our motto here. I have a bowl of carrots scraps on my counter right now for the chickens. It’s so great to not have any waste.

      Delete
  3. No clue what TCAPS are (google no help), but they must be desirable as the cows clearly want some!! Your menu looks good, with lots of veg variety. I need to add some more veggies to my menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😂 Celie…TCAPS are the end of the school year state testing that students are required to take every year to see how much they’ve learned that year and are used as a benchmark.

      Delete
    2. Ha ha ha!! I realized they must be some kind of testing after I'd posted my comment, when I looked at the picture more closely and saw at the "Shhh...".

      Delete
    3. 👍 It’s so funny to see them looking in the doors like that. 😂

      Delete
  4. Love the cows stopping by the classroom! I love getting rid of clutter, and have fallen behind during the wild month of April. Time to get back into the swing of things, and start to look for things to: use up, get rid of, work on (paper work & the like), or organize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! So cute…I’m with you on the clutter. It’s so nice to get it taken care of and out of the way. That old mantra, “when in doubt, throw it out” comes to mind. 😊

      Delete
  5. Are you back to teaching after covid? Haven't heard you talk about your job in ages. Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn’t return to teaching after Covid.

      Delete
  6. The cows at the school door are great! I would have loved seeing that when I was a kid.
    I am currently in the doldrums and am not inspired to do anything except what absolutely has to be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Students loved the cows being there. 😂

      I hope you are out of the doldrums before you know it. I have days like that too and it is so hard to do anything but the bare minimum those days.

      Delete
  7. LOL. The cows wanted to come to school.

    You are doing well with your saving and using items up.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spotted you on a mutual friends blog, and thought I would pop in top say hi. Some good frugal ideas. I've used cottage cheese before when out of sour cream, but didn't think about putting in the ranch dressing...making a mental note about that idea. I've never purchased a whole chicken, only buy and cook breasts....I don't like the other parts of the chicken, but your idea is certainly a time and money saver.

    ReplyDelete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...