Friday, November 10, 2017

First Frugal Week of November 2017

The first frugal week of November came with illness, which started when I subbed for a sick teacher on Halloween. Four days later I ended up with the virus. By Monday my fever was gone and I didn't work on Monday, but did work the rest of the week. 

Before all of that happened, I had been buying Christmas presents. I earned another $50 PayPal credit, this time from Swagbucks, and will use it towards Christmas. 

Even though I was feeling under the weather this week I still made dinners at home. One night I made a double batch of pasta salad, which was great to take for lunch the next couple of days. 

Thursday night I came home after work and made another pasta salad as we had eaten the other one I made. I also made spaghetti for dinner that night. Friday night was Macaroni & Cheese with steamed broccoli on the side. 

The ladies I eat lunch with rarely bring their lunch to work. They eat out of the school cafeteria, which is $3.50 each day or they get take out food from a local diner, which is easily $5.00 per day. I like to eat out too, but when you add it up at the end of the month, this type of eating out can average between $70 and $100 each month or maybe even more. 

Knowing myself, I would rather have that chunk of money to spend on something else. What do you think?

It's been very warm here until rain moved in two days ago and cold temperatures have been the norm. It was 34 degrees here this morning, but we've not had to turn the heat on in the house yet as it is insulated very well. We always save more on our electric bill in the winter as we don't run the heat as often as we run the a/c in the summertime. 

How has your week been?

Belinda
~ Living within our Means ~

16 comments:

  1. While working brings in the money people need to be cognizant of spending money on meals when working. I guess people figure they have to eat anyway so why not buy a meal out? Brown bagging it keeps the income optimal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a teacher in a more middle class district, most teachers brought food from home, a few always bought the lunch for adults, but it was something like $5 for the school lunch. The bulk of my career was spend in a very affluent district, and surprisingly about 50% of the staff bought lunch there. Granted, this was the best school cafeteria I'd ever seen: sushi bar, salad bar, soups, pizza, burgers, the hot lunch o the day, made on demand sandwiches as well as grab and go boxes with a premade sandwich, cookie. Add a drink and most were spending $10/day. I can count on one hand the number of times I have bought lunch as a teacher over 30 years. Just makes sense to bring it in yourself. These same fellow teachers also tote Starbucks coffee cups (disposable) daily. I made my own coffee at home, filling a washable thermos cylinder drink cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, those were expensive school lunches, but I can see why with choices like that. I never was a coffee drinker always preferring water over anything else. I cannot imagine spending money on Starbucks everyday, although I know people that do that. You were a great example of being frugal with your lunches, just to name one thing, and look at what you set out to do and accomplish, It's just wonderful what you've done.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Belinda. CT is a very expensive area, with me living frugally in the most expensive county. Many are of far higher means than I-good for them, I've always chosen to live below my more modest means, as my family taught me.

      Delete
  3. I always took my lunch to work. Others would spend a small fortune. It makes so much since that you take yours.

    It has really cold here as well. Brrrr.
    have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. I hope you have a good weekend too. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Belinda,
    Good for you for bringing your lunch from home. It's the most sensible thing. And what it means is you need to work fewer hours, as you're spending less. Sounds like a win to me!

    Have you ever read The Millionaire Next Door? Evidently, most people that we would identify as wealthy do not live ostentatiously. They live in middle class neighborhoods, drive ordinary cars, and spend their money prudently. They don't have the entitlement attitude that prevails today: "I work hard, so I deserve to eat out/go to Starbucks/drive a new car." Anyways, if you haven't read it, your library probably has it. It's a good read, IMO. I think you're making wise choices, BTW.
    Have a great weekend, Belinda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read The Millionaire Next Door, Lili. It is a good read for this subject. I know one lady who lives like this although she is not quite a millionaire she has plenty of money and lives quite frugally. I know that is how she was able to save all that she has, by living frugally. It's the best way to have a nest egg.

      Hope you have a great weekend too. :)

      Delete
  5. I always take lunch to work. Homemade lunches not only save money, they are healthier because I know exactly what's in it.
    And when I do eat out, it's more enjoyable because it's not a daily thing.
    Good for you for taking time to prepare meals at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nil. They can be so much healthier since you know what is in them.

      Delete
  6. This is the why I quit subbing. I became so sick after subbing for a teacher during a flu epidemic. Doctor not happy with me as I am on those auto immune suppressant drugs. Oh well you live and learn and sometimes the hard way. Happy you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Normally I have Lysol wipes to use, but I was out and so was the teacher I subbed for. I don't know if it would have make a difference or not, but I am glad I'm feeling better. It was a rough one for sure. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. my daughter is a teacher and she takes her own lunch either left over meal from the night before or homemade sandwiches it's all about savy spending xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I generally took my lunches to work, although would occasionally dine out with a friend. Now that I work at home, it's not an issue.

    Food is the budget category with the most wiggle room. You can't usually negotiate your car payment or your rent, but you can tinker your grocery bill.

    ReplyDelete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...