Monday, January 15, 2024

My Frugal Kitchen ~ What We Ate This Week

 


My Frugal Week


I think the universe (God) smiled at us this week knowing we were grieving and blessed us with multiple free meals this week. 

Recipe of the Week

Scalloped Potatoes


A tried and true family favorite side dish, which I served on Monday.


Ingredients:


3 pounds potatoes, sliced 

¼ cup butter

1 large onion diced

2 cloves garlic minced

¼ cup flour

2 cups milk

1 cup chicken broth (I used vegetable broth)

1 teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon pepper


Directions:


Preheat the oven to 350˚F.

To make the sauce, melt butter, onion and garlic over medium low heat. Cook until onion is softened. 

Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. 

Reduce heat to low. 

Combine milk and broth. 

Add a small amount at a time,  and whisk to thicken until smooth.

Bring to a boil over medium heat while continuing to whisk.  

Stir in salt and pepper and let boil for 1 minute.

At this point you can add one cup of cheese to make Au Gratin Potatoes. 

Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. 

Combine potatoes with sauce and place in pan.

Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.

Uncover and bake for an additional 30 minutes until golden brown.


Beverages This Week


What’s for Breakfast


Sausage & Toast, Oatmeal, Pizza Eggs, Cottage Cheese & Apricots.


What’s for Lunch & Photo of the Week



On Monday we picked up the free Firehouse Subs giveaway we won at Christmas time. We chose three ham and three roast beef. They were huge sandwiches and each one made two lunches. They included Duke's regular mayonnaise and Duke's spicy brown mustard, which was delicious. Each box lunch came with a bag of Lay's potato chips and a chocolate chip cookie.

What’s for Dinner


Monday ~ I took Bedder Cheddars out of the freezer to thaw on Sunday.  It was a rough Monday morning with phone calls for Dad, so I decided to do some self care in the kitchen since I enjoy cooking and made Scalloped Potatoes from scratch and served this with steamed broccoli. 

  

Tuesday ~ We used one of the gift cards from my Dad and had lunch at Red Lobster. We both had the Shrimp Your Way, which comes with two kinds of shrimp. Bailey had Garlic Shrimp Scampi and Shrimp Linguini Alfredo with the Creamy Lobster Baked Potato. I had the Parrot Isle Jumbo Coconut Shrimp and Walt's Favorite Shrimp with Crispy Brussel Sprouts. Of course, these were served with their delicious Cheddar Bay Biscuits. My coconut shrimp was served with a delicious pina colada dipping sauce. This was the first time I had ever tried Lobster and it was delicious with a mild taste. 

Wednesday ~ Repeat of Monday night dinner. 

Thursday ~ Baked Beans with Boar's Head Beef Hot Dogs, Scalloped Potatoes with Corn, and Glazed Carrots.  

Friday ~ After cleaning all day, we went out to eat to a local restaurant in Cleveland, Shane's Rib Shack. Bailey had the Chicken Tenders while I had the BBQ Chicken French Fries. 

Saturday ~ Homemade Chili that I pulled from the freezer. I love having foods like this, stored in my freezer, after a long day. 

Sunday ~ Fried Spam, Soup Beans, Spoon Bread, Pickled Beets

What’s on the Menu for This Coming Week

On Sunday afternoon after all of our family had left, I did an inventory of our canned goods in the pantry. Making an inventory of the food we have on hand always sparks ideas in my mind of what to make for dinner that week.

We will definitely be serving at least one meatless dish this week, but other than that I will be deciding each day on what to make. So, be sure to come back next week to see what we end up having this week. 

If you're interested in the canned good inventory, I'll add it to the bottom of this post. And if you're not interested, no worries. :)

What’s been on the menu in your home this past week?


Belinda
Homemaker at Heart
Mortgage & Debt Free
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree

~ She looketh well to the ways of her household ~
Proverbs 31:27



Canned Beans


Black Eyed Peas - 2

Butter Beans - 1

Chili Beans - 1

Great Northern Beans - 2

Pinto Beans - 4

Pork & Beans - 3


Canned Meat


Chicken - 5

Chili - 3

Salmon - 2

Spam - 3

Tuna - 25


Miscellaneous


Diced Green Chilis - 3

Enchilada Sauce – 28 ounce - 8


Soup


Beefy Mushroom - 4

French Onion - 2

Tomato - 2


Tomatoes


Crushed Tomatoes - 28 ounce - 3

Crushed Tomatoes - 15 once - 2

Diced Tomatoes - 9

Spaghetti Sauce - 15 ounce cans - 8 & 1 jar

Tomato Paste - 1

Tomato Sauce - 15 ounces - 5

Tomato Sauce - 8 ounce - 4


Vegetables


Beets - 3

Carrots - 2

Corn - 4

Creamed Corn - 3

Green Beans - 50

Peas - 1

Potatoes - 1

Yams - 1


24 comments:

  1. Everything sounds yummy, and you got a treat of some foods out. Both from winning and dad. That is nice. You deserved a break from cooking.
    have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. Breaks from cooking are nice.

      I hope you have a good week also.

      Delete
  2. I'm hungry now...lol. Your meals all look delicious! What a great deal on those subs! I need to do an inventory of my canned goods. I know that I'm out of a few things, so I need to get my act together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms. Gee. I love having an inventory of what I have on hand, it really helps with meal planning. I'm going to do the rest of my pantry this week and fill in the rest. :)

      Delete
  3. Your scalloped potato recipe sounds tasty! Thank you!
    Yummy on the subs, and I'm sure the shrimp meals were delicious. Glad family was able to come and help with the sorting. It is a hard job.
    Good idea to do an inventory. Looks like you all like green beans. I think that I have more cans of green beans than any other veggie too.
    Stay safe and warm. We have some snow and ice here this morning, and temps will be in the teens tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. The scalloped potatoes are a little time consuming, but we really like them. Those shrimp meals were really good. I need to try and duplicate that pina colada sauce here at home. We do love green beans, but found them for 33 cents a can, so we stocked up! LOL

      Brrrrr...sounds chilly there, we have snow Stay safe and warm!

      Delete
  4. I am happy you were able to have some help with your meals. I remember all the hoops we had to jump through after Mom's passing and the extras really do help.
    As for the inventory__I loved seeing yours. I try and keep a running inventory of the foods I have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping an inventory really does help me figure out what I have to plan meals with, it's a win-win. I remember when you were going thru this with your Mom's estate. I'm glad you also had your sister to help you.

      Delete
  5. I love scalloped potatoes! And I like the sound of pizza eggs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too, Rain. And Bailey loves her pizza eggs, it's only the only way she will fix them now.

      Delete
  6. That's something else I can't seem to find in this area of Louisiana-crushed or puree tomatoes in the 28 oz. cans. Strange. And when I do find them they are outrageously expensive! Enjoy your days off from "having" to cook. That is my idea of heaven, not "having" to cook. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I do love it when I don't have to cook, Sluggy. And best wishes on finding affordable, crushed or pureed tomatoes in the 28 ounce cans, that seems so odd to me for the state of Louisiana!

      Delete
  7. What wonderful meals you had. Getting an inventory on what is in the cupboard is something I need to accomplish.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie. It really helps me to plan what to make for dinner.

      Delete
  8. Taking advantage of free/easy meals when you are so busy & grieving sounds like a great plan. Sending you good thoughts as you continue to try & work through everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see you’re keeping yourself busy. Good way to clear your mind and makes the day go by faster. I’m sorry to hear about your father. My dad is in the hospital it’s hard to see him age as he is the rock of the family.But I also don’t want him suffer. So there’s that. I know all will work it’s self out. Blessings to you and your family. -Rosa R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rosa. My heart goes out to you with your Dad being in the hospital. It is so hard to see them like this. I hope ad pray that your Dad will not suffer. I'll be keeping all of you in good thoughts and prayers.

      Delete
    2. I’m back home. My father did not go gentle into that good night almost 2 weeks later or feels like it he passed away.like my sister said we would have love to have him for 100 years but thankful for the 88yrs he got. I find comfort in not seeing him in so much pain. And thanks for your blogs that keep me going as staying busy really does help. -Rosa R.

      Delete
    3. Oh, Rosa, I am so sorry. My heart goes out to you. I understand your sister’s sentiments about having your father for 100 years, but grateful for the 88. I miss my Dad so much it hurts, some days are easier then others. I’m grateful we both had good Dad’s. 💕

      Delete
  10. I agree with Jackie, I need to do an inventory. I went to look for some pasta sauce and had none. I need to sort out our pantry to see what needs using up!! We have Firehouse Subs up here, but have never had them. Well done on winning all those subs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That you, Gill. We were pretty tickled with the subs and was surprised when we won. :)

      Delete
  11. This menu sounds great Belinda! We made a lot of soup beans this past week too-this cold we are having makes me want to make things to warm up our bones! Those Firehouse subs sound great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vickie. Yes, this cold bitter weather is perfect bean soup weather. I am going to make chili this week, which is perfect for this cold weather., Stay warm up there in Michigan. :)

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...