Monday, January 1, 2024

Saving Money in our Frugal Kitchen ~ Week One January 2024 ~Menu Plan Monday

 

Saving Money in my Frugal Kitchen


Recipe of the Week

McGriddle Muffins


Ingredients:


1 pound sausage, cooked and browned

2 cups pancake mix of your choice

1 & 1/2 cups of water

¼ cup maple syrup

1 cup shredded cheese


Directions:


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Cook and brown sausage.

Place pancake batter in a mixing bowl.  

Add syrup, water, and cheese.

Add cooked sausage to batter.

Place batter into muffin tins.

Bake for 12-15 minutes.


Money Saving Links


Budget Friendly Meals from Kroger


Beverages This Week


Water

Herbal Tea

Sweet Tea

Unsweet Tea

Orange Juice

TJ’s Orange Rooibos Tea

Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice Tea

Eggnog

Almond Milk


What’s for Breakfast


Breakfast on Christmas morning was fresh squeezed orange juice (free), crescent rolls ($1.00), and sausage patties ($1.58). Other breakfasts this week have included more crescent rolls, potatoes, eggs, oatmeal and toast.

 

What’s for Dinner

Monday ~ Christmas Dinner was a meal on a budget this year. As I've mentioned before, I bought a ham steak in order to save money and was able to cut that into eight pieces. Dad was still in the hospital, so it was just the two of us and was plenty of food and drinks and still we have leftovers. 

The ham steak was $3.48, and I served this with Au gratin Potatoes, Corn and Crescent Rolls. The potatoes, milk and corn were gifted to us and I bought the crescent rolls at UGO for $1.00. I did pay for the onion and butter, so after all was said and done our Christmas dinner, which was simple, cost us less than $10.00. 

For dessert seekers we had peanut butter chocolate chip cookies and chocolate fudge, but no one wanted those after dinner. I didn't want tummy upsets that sometimes come from overindulging in foods, so I refrained from that this holiday season. 

Tuesday ~ Double Decker Chicken Tacos, Lettuce, Colby Jack Cheese, Red Onions & Lettuce. Used a free Taco Kit for the Double Decker Tacos. 

Wednesday ~ Chicken & Vegetable Stir Fry served over sauteed cabbage. 

Thursday ~ Double Decker Beef Tacos, Lettuce, Colby Jack Cheese, Red Onions, Diced Tomatoes. Used a free Taco Kit for the Double Decker Tacos. 

Friday ~ We have leftover chicken and taco meat, so in order to avoid food waste, we will be having both of those for dinner tonight. I also had corn to use up. 

Saturday ~ Hot & Sour Soup for lunch, we used up all the chicken taco meat, but still had some beef taco meat, so I used that for dinner. I used the last crescent roll we bought for $1 and made a taco pizza for dinner. 

Sunday ~ I didn't have fresh tomatoes for tacos the other day, so I opened up a can of chili tomatoes thinking I could use those, but they were more like sauce instead of tomatoes. 

So, in order to avoid food waste I made Chicken Parmesan and used this as the sauce.  I didn't use bread crumbs or pasta as we are doing more low carb these days, but I did use the sauce with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. 

What’s on the Menu for This Coming Week

With Dad still in the hospital, I haven't decided yet, so I'm going to wing it this week. 

Please come back next week to see what we had on our menu this week. 

What’s been on the menu in your home this past week?


Belinda
Homemaker at Heart
Mortgage & Debt Free
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree

~ She looketh well to the ways of her household ~
Proverbs 31:27


14 comments:

  1. My Christmas dinner was frugal, too. Even though I paid $17 for the turkey breast, we froze two bags of it, and still have one left in freezer. It is still cheap meat. The muffins sound intriguing. Some day, when I have more low carb items planned for the day, I will try those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was definitely an inexpensive Christmas dinner for you especially with having ome to freeze for later.

      Delete
  2. I meant to say that I hope he is out of the hospital soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. Today was day 16 in the hospital, but he has been approved for Siskin, so he is getting a stomach tube put in tomorrow and then Thursday they will move him to Siskin.

      Delete
  3. I wish I had sausage in the house. I would have made the McGriddle for brunch!
    I am not making a meal plan this week, but did inventory the produce in the fridge so I will cook according to what I have. It should be enough that I will not have to go to the store this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is so nice when you don't have to go to the store!

      Delete
  4. I hope for healing for your dad. I know that you have so much to have on your mind right now. Your Christmas dinner sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that your Dad does well with therapy; they are able to do amazing things at rehab these days.
    Your meals sound delicious. Since I have plenty of sausage (thanks to your tip) I want to try those muffins. I think I will fix some hot and sour soup this week too. We are supposed to have our first winter storm saturday, so I think cozy meals will be good.
    Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. Monday was a real good day for my Dad, but today he slept most of the day, which is also good for him.

      I love hot and sour soup it is so good and nutritious. Oh, winter storms are heading your way, so cozy meals will be perfect. We are suppose to have very cold weather next Tuesday. Hopefully it will be OK for both of us.

      Delete
  6. I am praying for healing for your Dad. We had our regular turkey for Christmas and the leftovers were frozen for use in future meals and a package was sent home with Kris. Kurt was visiting friends after he left here and I doubt that the meat would have stayed frozen.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie. That means a lot to me. So nice of you to be able to share your Christmas dinner with Kris. I'm sure he appreciates it very much.

      Delete
  7. With the price of food going up and up, I think more and more of us will be menu planning to save money!! Happy New Year to your and your family. Hope you're dad feels better shortly.

    ReplyDelete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...