Friday, December 24, 2021

Frugal Friday #4 of December 2021



Welcome to Friday! 

Quote of the Week
Maybe Christmas,” he thought, “doesn’t come from a store. Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more?” ~ The Grinch
My Frugal Week

I had a broken tooth on Thursday of last week that was giving me a great deal of pain, so I went to the dentist and had an extraction. The cost was $287 and I was thankful for the emergency funds on hand to cover this. 

On Saturday the church was giving away free food again, so I went and came home with carrots, onions, turkey, fruit snacks, taco kits, and 24 cans of Pepsi. 

I’m very grateful for all of the food. I was going to put the Pepsi in the Little Free Pantry, but Bailey said to keep it, so I did. 

Earning Money

My income from Adsense came for my blog this week. The income threshold before you get paid is $100, so I usually get a check every three months. It’s just enough to pay for my health insurance this month, so I am grateful for that. 

Avoiding Spending

Other than groceries and one prescription, I didn’t spend any other money this week. All the presents I am giving for Christmas had already been bought and wrapped before this week. 

Saving Money In My Frugal Kitchen

We finally had groceries delivered on Wednesday, until then I was successfully making meals out of what we had on hand.   We bought enough groceries to last for the next month and had it delivered to avoid the crowded grocery store. Bailey made sure to leave the delivery person a big fat tip since it was a big order right here at Christmas time. 

Some of our items were substitutions and turned out to be better deals. We ordered the Crisco butter shortening in the four pack, which they were out of and substituted the 48 ounce can instead, which cost $1.86 more, although we paid the lower price. 

We paid $3.68 for Jimmy Dean sausage instead of the $4.00 because they were out of the Swaggerty sausage I ordered. Bailey likes Jimmy Dean the best, so I was happy to get this substitution. I had ordered two of both Jimmy Dean and Swaggerty just to make sure I got one or the other for Christmas. 

I bought a beef rump roast for Italian Beef on Christmas Eve, but they substituted that for a chuck roast. We will just make do with what they gave us. It turned out to be a two pound roast, which isn’t much, but at $6.00 a pound cost $12.00. 

As far as meat goes, we paid $2.64 per pound for ground beef, and $1.99 per pound for two packs of chicken. I divided the ground beef into 16 packages and the chicken into 4 packages, so right there gives us 20 meals for the next month or so.

I also bought pork sausage, smoked sausage, Polish sausage, and tuna, which is enough for 16 or more meals, so we have plenty of meat to last for the next month and then some

Bailey is making Jalepeno Dip and BLT Dip for Christmas appetizers.  I’ll be making cheesecake, tuna pate, hash brown casserole, broccoli casserole, croissants, cheeseball, jello salad, sausage balls, dressing, and sweet potatoes. Some of it will be for Christmas Eve and some for Christmas Day. 

I saved money this year for Christmas by only making one dessert, which was the cheesecake. We just don’t need anymore sweets than that. Besides I like the savory foods better than the sweet ones. 

One day for breakfast I made cheese quesadillas. I used the flour tortillas from a taco kit that was given to us. 

Meals This Week

Friday: Better Cheddar Smoked Sausage, Seasoned Fries, Broccoli

Saturday: Hamburger with Brown Gravy over Buttered Basmati Rice, Green Beans with Onions.

Sunday: Tamale Pie, Corn, Salad

Monday: Chicken Pot Pie, Cornbread Bake

Tuesday: Homemade Pizza, Salad

Wednesday: Polish Sausage, Fried Potatoes, Green Beans with Onions

Thursday: Polish Sausage, Macaroni and Cheese, Green Peas



Recipe of the Week

This is a recipe Bailey made for the first time three years ago. The secret to making this not be hot is to scrape out all of the seeds in the jalapeño peppers. I am not a fan of spicy hot foods and even I liked this. It’s definitely a keeper. 

Jalapeño  Popper Dip

Ingredients:

2 (8 ounce packages) of cream cheese, softened
6-8 slices of bacon, cooked till crispy and crumbled 
1 cup mayonnaise or sour cream
4-6 Jalapeno's, chopped & seeds removed
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cut mozzarella cheese shredded
1/4 cup diced green onion

Topping:

1 cup crushed Ritz crackers
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup of butter melted

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray 8x8 casserole dish and set aside.
Blend cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
Add to cream cheese mixture: 
bacon, mayo, jalapeños, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese & diced onion. 
Mix well.
Transfer mixture to casserole dish. 
Spread evenly in dish.
In a small bowl combine Ritz crackers, Parmesan cheese & butter.
Sprinkle all over the top of the dip.
Bake the dip for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly

Saving on Entertainment

I’ve been watching Miss Potter on YouTube this week. It’s free to watch with advertisements. 


I created a new to me playlist on YouTube of Christmas music, so I can play it when I’m busy doing things around the house. 

What I've been Reading This Week

15 ideas for Consumable, Sustainable, & Homemade Gifting

Freebies


Our local Farm to Farm shop had a giveaway the other day on Facebook for a free bar of soap and I won. I thought that was pretty neat right here before Christmas. 





On Wednesday our local Walmart was giving away what Christmas trees they had left

That is all the news to report on our frugal week in Tennessee. Thank you for dropping by, you are always welcome here. We hope you have a wonderful Christmas filled with lots of love. 

Belinda
~ Living within our Means ~



12 comments:

  1. What a lovely week, one way and another and apart from the dental stuff. How good that there were the funds available to pay though.

    Have a wonderful Christmas.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas too.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a really good week. Glad you got your dental work done and had the funds - no debt.
    I love that dip - I have made something similar. So yummy.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. Yes, that dip is very good, surprisingly. (LOL)

      I hope you have a very Merry Christmas too!

      Delete
  3. Sorry for your tooth issue. Bailey's dip sounds really good. I'll try that for New Year's perhaps. It's fun to get the Adsense payout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam. That dip is good. The bacon makes it to me. Yes, I like the Adsense payout too.

      Delete
  4. So sorry about the broken tooth and pain, but I'm glad you aren't in pain now. That dip sounds yummy. Great shopping, and I'm impressed you are able to get enough groceries to last a month. I really need to plan better.
    Thanks for sharing your frugal tips with us.
    Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a New Year filled with blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. I’m so glad my tooth was taken care off too as I’m no longer in any pain.

      The way I figure my monthly grocery shop, if I can get enough meats to last for 20 or so meals each month, the rest is easy to fill in with side dishes like vegetables, salads, and a grain or pasta or potatoes. It’s been working for us throughout the pandemic at least for now. We save money by only get groceries delivered once a Month.

      I hope you have a very Meery Christmas and a Happy New Year too.

      Delete
  5. Have a Merry Christmas, I am sorry about the tooth and glad you had it pulled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belinda you are the frugal queen, I love reading how you save money and get so many freebies! Congrats on winning the soap! Oh, teeth...ugh. Mine are like chalk. Dental bills kill me. I hope you're feeling better. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!!! ♥♥🎄🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rain You are so sweet. I am feeling much better, thank you. I hope you are having a very Merry Christmas too!

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...