Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Hint of Orange Iced Tea

There is a small food business based in Knoxville, Tennessee called Petro's Chili and Chips. 

What is a Petro you may ask?


A Petro was first introduced at the Knoxville Worlds Fair in 1982. Sort of like a Frito Pie, it is created by layering corn chips, chili, cheese, tomatoes, green onions, sour cream, and black olives in a cup. They are delicious, but what I love the most about Petro's is their Hint of Orange Iced Tea. 


Petro's used to be located in Chattanooga way back in 1988 and I would occasionally enjoy one. Sadly, they are only based in Knoxville these days, so rather than make the long drive there, I figured out years ago how to make my own orange tea at home. 


To make my own hint of orange iced tea at home I use a combination of regular sized tea bags (7 bags) and Orange & Spice tea bags (3 bags). Several companies make Orange & Spice tea bags. This one just happens to be from Bigelow tea company. I have often used the Lipton orange tea bags as well. 

What I do to make the tea is to boil some water, about two to three cups worth, remove from the heat source, add the tea bags to steep and then cover with a lid. Once that is done I add as much sugar as I desire to a gallon pitcher, add the steeped tea, stir until the sugar dissolves, and then fill the pitcher the rest of the way with cold water. Then I pour some of the tea over a glass of ice and enjoy. I store the rest in the refrigerator to keep it fresh as long as possible. 

The tea is so good and refreshing. I hope you try it and let me know what you think of it.  :)

Belinda

10 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. Except for the sugar! I like my tea plain and can't justify the extra sugar, for me, personally. Love the orange spice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try that. I also love iced tea minus the sugar. I don't like to drink my calories. I prefer to save them for something yummy. Haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this recipe. I love tea so I am going to try this unsweetened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just recently got hooked on this tea, so I will try it to save on gas and money and add the sugar. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like it made at home and saving you the gas money. They now have a location in Hixson, Tennessee and I was there for a Dr appointment last week, so I stopped in and bought myself a cup. Still as delicious as I remember it. And the orange was fantastic to boot.

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...