Thursday, June 28, 2012

WFD: Wednesday & Thursday

I'm still in use it up mode here and cleaning out the refrigerator, freezer and pantry.

Wednesday we had spaghetti with garlic bread, and since we had so much leftover and it is hot here today, rather than make the Macaroni & Cheese I had planned, we are going to eat the spaghetti again today. So no cooking, which means I won't be heating up the house in this heat wave we are having.


To start off with, I cut up and sauteed onions and green peppers (from the garden) and added a can of diced tomatoes.



I didn't have any ground beef, but I did have two boxes of pizza veggies burgers (perfect), so I chopped those up and added those.






I also had a institutional sized can of spaghetti sauce, so I opened that up and used a lot of it for the sauce. At Sam's Club, the institutional sized cans of tomato, spaghetti, and pizza sauce are cheaper per ounce than buying smaller cans.

I can make several batches of spaghetti sauce with one of these big cans. I pour out enough for the meal I'm making and then fill small containers with the remainder, label and place in the freezer for another day.

For the garlic bread, I had a package of sub type rolls that I had left over from Italian Beef (perfect), so I used those up and made garlic bread out of them using my homemade garlic butter.

I actually forgot to take a picture of the finished product, but it looked jut like a plate of spaghetti with meat sauce with garlic bread on the side. It turned out pretty good considering it had veggie burgers in it, and It gives me a good feeling to know I'm "using up" stuff from my pantry and freezer.

What's for dinner at your house today?

Belinda
© Belinda Richardson and Frugal Workshop, 2012.
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do, do without”

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great way to make use of what you already have! WTG! Dinner here will be stir fried veggies with pork strips, served over rice. I am planning on making extra rice as leftovers will become a pork fried rice for lunch tomorrow. I spent the morning baking, deboning a hotel turkey breast that I cooked. It's now chopped and sliced, the stock is cooling. All I have to do is make some gravy and add it to the freezer container. I am bracing for a horrible heat wave, so doing the cooking NOW will make for a few easy days, cooking wise. I washed down the bathroom, scrubbed the floor.
    It's getting hot, but we are still comfortable with just the windows open, no A/C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good use of planning ahead, Carol! Definitely going to be a heat wave coming. I've been wanting to do a pork fried rice too, I hope you post your recipe. We finally had to turn the ac on around 1:30 as the outdoor temperature reached 96 by that time. Just trying to stay cool for now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belinda, your spaghetti recipe sounds amazing and I love that you used fresh veggies from your own garden! Thanks for sharing and for shopping at Sam’s Club! – Ramona from Sam’s Club

    ReplyDelete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...