Friday, January 6, 2023

First Frugal Friday of January 2023




Welcome to Friday! 

My Frugal Week

At the end of last week it had warmed up enough that we were able to turn the heat off for the time being, which made me happy as the electric bill will go down with the heat off. 

On Saturday we went to town to eat out at the Mexican restaurant and to shop the after Christmas clearance sales. I also wanted to check and see if they had any of their hams marked down. We didn’t find any hams, but did find a few Christmas items (gift bags, bows) to put into storage for next year. 

I received two gift cards in the mail this week from my health insurance for keeping up with my health in 2022. Both were for Walmart and totaled $35.

I paid all the bills this week including my auto insurance, which is due every six months. I use a slush fund to save up the money each month (divided by 6) to have the money to pay when the bill arrives.

I refilled my spray cleaner bottles with concentrated Lysol and added enough water to fill them. This saves a lot of money over the non-concentrated ones sold in the stores. 

Freebies


We received four free Covid19 test kits this week. I like having these on hand just in case we’ve been exposed and want peace of mind. 

I also received a free notebook from our Insurance company.

Saving Money In My Frugal Kitchen

Using up all of our Christmas leftovers and using up what’s here made for some interesting meals. Even though we didn’t go overboard on Christmas food, it’s nice to get back to healthier eating. 

When the price of groceries becomes too high we need to be flexible with our menus and change things up to save the most money. For example,  eggs are more expensive now compared to what they used to cost. So, we might not have as many egg dishes until the price comes back down. Unless you have your own egg laying chickens, of course. 

This week I did an inventory of food we have on hand. One of the items we have in abundance right now is carrots. Of course, they will keep a long time in the refrigerator. 

One night I used the chips and salsa left from the Mexican restaurant and included them in my meal plan, so as to not waste that extra food. 

Someone gave us a box of the 25 cent Macaroni and Cheese boxes and rather than waste it, I decided to doctor it up. I prepared the dish as it called for on the box, but added two slices of real cheese, onion powder, and pepper. It definitely brought it to the next level as it was bland before I added the additional ingredients. 

Meals This Week

All meals are served with either salad or vegetables and may not always be listed here. 

* If you see a dinner in bold print that means we had it more than once this week.

Taco Style Lentils and Rice, Tortillas, Cheddar Cheese, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Onions. 
Dinner at the Mexican restaurant. The portions stretched for another meal
Oven Baked Rice & Beans, Corn
Chicken in White Sauce with Dressing, Onions, and Corn. 
Beef in Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Mixed Vegetables. 
Successful Mexican Leftover Wizardry, Steamed Broccoli. 
Grilled Chicken Tenders, Air Fried Potatoes, Cabbage. 

Beverages included Iced tea, sweet or unsweet, herbal tea, and lemonade.

Recipe of the Week

This recipe reminds me of the one I have on here for Mexican Rice except this one doesn’t have to be stirred constantly on the stovetop. 

Instead of using store bought salsa, I used the salsa from the Mexican restaurant and included enough Taco Bell sauce packets with that to make up the 16 ounces. 

We used this as leftovers in Egg Burritos for breakfast & tacos for lunches this week. 

Oven Baked Rice & Beans

Ingredients:

3 cups of rice
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 cup olive oil or butter
1 - 16 ounce jar or salsa
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 (15 ounce) cans of beans (kidney, pinto, etc)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Pour rice, seasonings, and oil into 13 x 9 casserole dish. 
Stir until rice is coated with oil and spices are dispersed evenly. 
Add salsa, broth, and beans and mix well. 
Cover tightly with foil.
Bake in oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and check rice for doneness.
Fluff with a fork. 

Saving Money YouTube Videos

Feed Your Family ALL WEEK for $55! I’ll Show You How! Including Recipes! 

How to Get Free Meals Every Week and Keep The Grocery Bill Down, Down, Down!

Saving on Entertainment

We watched Matilda this week, but it was the new film, which is actually a musical. They are not my cup of tea, but Bailey really enjoys them. 

What I've been Reading This Week

A Gift to You by The Bluebirds are Nesting ~ a long read/e-book about crafts and making Christmas presents all year long. 


Thank you for dropping by my frugal blog, you are always welcome here. 

We would love to hear all about your week in the comment section.


Belinda
Mortgage & Debt Free
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree

~ She looketh well to the ways of her household ~
Proverbs 31:27



13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. Sounds like my kind of food! Your meals always sound like the foods I like. Yay on the GC's - got to love free money!!!
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, Cheryl. I’ve noticed that too, that we like the same kinds of food. 😊

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good week! Yum on the Mexican meal! I think Mexican is one of my favorite foods, and I could make a meal off of the chips and salsa. ;) Your recipe sounds so good too.
    Free gift cards are great too.
    We've had to use our free covid tests this week. So far two out of the four of us have covid. Not the best start to a New Year. We've been vaccinated and boosted, so hopefully it won't be too bad. We had avoided it for three years, but I guess everyone might get it eventually.
    Stay safe, and I hope you have a great year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. I love Mexican food so much that I turn to it regularly to feed us. 😊

      Oh no, I’m so sorry two of you all Covid. Hopefully it won’t be too bad since you have been vaccinated and boosted. I hope the other two family members don’t get it either. My heart goes out to you.

      Delete
  3. Hi Belinda! Always enjoyable to read what you’ve been up to. I didn’t care for Matilda, either. I know it was a musical, but WAY too much singing for me! Haha! 🫤 Just started watching “Wednesday” and so far, so good. Take care. Judy in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet, Judy. Thank you. Yes! Matilda had way too much singing for me. We did watch Annie and Even though it was a musical, it was better than Matilda. I will be sure to check out Wednesday. 😊

      Delete
  4. "Successful Mexican Leftover Wizardry" made my day! lolz

    ReplyDelete
  5. That recipe sounds similar to my rice hotdish, but new flavors. I'll give it a go for sure. Definitely a college friendly meal my daughter could make and eat with chips or in tortillas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you and your hot rice dish while I was making it, Sam. Oh, definitely a college friendly meal. It would be great with a salad too.

      Delete
  6. I am the same way with our Covid tests. Hubby picked some up at the hospital when he went to visit the doctor.

    Your rice dish sounds great. Copied it to give it a try.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make several Mexican rice dishes. Yum!!! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We both love musicals and watched Matilda. I would have enjoyed it more if they filmed it like a stage production instead of a wannabe film.

    ReplyDelete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...