Friday, July 30, 2021

Frugal Friday



Welcome to Friday! 

My Frugal Week

On Tuesday I had a doctors appointment and the doctor gave me two free samples of a new medicine she wants me to try. When I arrived home there was a letter from the company approving me for one year of the medicine at no charge to me. 

I will always be grateful for the doctor who told me about these programs and the Publix $7.50 ~ 90 day medications. They have saved me a lot of money over time. 

If you know someone who needs financial assistance with one of their medications, look online for the company who makes the drug to see if they have a patient assistance program. 


I have one of those grabber tools to be able to reach things, but it broke in the middle recently and became useless. I took two chopsticks, one of each side of the break and, using duct tape, fixed it in the middle where it was broken and now it is stronger than it was before. 


Getting a small batch of tomatoes  each day from our tomatoes. 

Avoiding Spending

Other than the doctor visit, we have stayed home this week. We didn't need anything, so no money spent here.

Saving Money In My Frugal Kitchen

We did our usual  money saving tricks in the kitchen such as eating leftovers, using up what we have on hand, etc.

The second shelf in our fridge will pull out and I found a bowl of leftover vegetables from earlier in the week hiding back there, so I made sure to add them to our vegetables for dinner that evening. 

Although we do serve meat here, not everyone eats the meat portion in our meals. We do serve plant based dishes with all of our meals here. 

Breakfast Fruit Plate


Meals This Week

Friday: Chicken Salad Sandwiches, Chick Peas, Green Salad

Saturday: Chicken Filet, Stir Fry Vegetables, Hummus with Carrot Sticks

Sunday: Grilled Chicken, Sweet Potatoes, Steamed Broccoli, and Carrots

Monday: Garlic Chicken, Fiesta Rice, Cantaloupe, Radishes and Cucumbers

Tuesday: Teriyaki Vegetable Stir Fry, Fiesta Rice, Cabbage

Wednesday: Veggie Burgers, Baked Sweet Potatoes, Broccoli 

Thursday: Grille Salmon, Brown Rice, Brussel Sprouts 



Fiesta Rice

This is a versatile dish that can be changed up depending on the vegetables you use.

Ingredients:

One pound cooked brown rice (4 cups)
One cup Pico de Gallo or your favorite salsa
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (1.5 cups of home cooked beans)
2-4 cups of assorted vegetables - shredded carrots, corn, peas, red onions, or ones you enjoy.

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and chill.
I like to eat it with a dollop of my homemade hummus on top.


Saving on Entertainment

I’ve been watching my 600 pound life on Hulu. I remember seeing the first two episodes years ago, but didn’t watch anymore because we haven’t had cable tv for years. I am slowly catching up on it though. 

How was your week?

Belinda
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree


If you are encouraged by what you read here, please consider supporting this site. 

 1. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn a small percentage that helps me to earn a living. Any items you place in your cart from one of my links means I will earn a small percentage from that sale. 

22 comments:

  1. Patient assistance programs offered by drug companies are great. Before Medicare, I used the program at the company that makes one of the very expensive medicines I take. It saved me hundreds of dollars every month. When I applied for my Medicare, I learned that I qualified for their Extra Help program. It pays for my prescription drug plan and reduces my drug co-pays to very reasonable amounts each month. Kudos to your doctor for alerting you to the program for your medicine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frances. The patient assistant programs are wonderful. I will have to tell my Mom about the Medicare savings program to see if she could apply. Thank you so much for telling me about it.

      Delete
  2. Smart fix on the grabber. The rice dish sounds tasty I think I might like it warm.
    Love using up leftovers in new ways.
    Have a good weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. That rice dish is good warm too.

      I hope you have a good weekend too.

      Delete
  3. This past week's menu in one word...Zuchini! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like lots of good savings!
    I'm glad you were able to save money on medicine, and I hope you are feeling better.
    Great job fixing the grabber! Those things are so handy. I'm always having things fall behind stuff, and it is easier using the grabber to get it.
    Your rice dish sounds so good. Thanks for the recipe. Your meals sound so good.
    How is your niece doing? Do hope she is doing better. I saw your note on Anne's blog, and I'm so sorry.
    Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kathy. My niece is not doing better. She has pneumonia and is septic. She has a fever and her heart was giving her problems with a fib. They say it isn’t COVID related, and I pray they are right, thank you for asking.

      I love my grabber tool. Using it to get things that fall behind stuff is the best.

      I hope you have a great weekend.

      Delete
    2. Oh no, I am so sorry. How scary! Sepsis is scary stuff. :( But they have some powerful antibiotics these days, and I pray the medicine kicks in soon and she will be on the mend.
      Sending hugs to you and your family.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Kathy. She is doing a little better today. They still won’t let her go home though until her lung clears up. Thank you again for asking.

      Delete
  5. I have contacted drug companies before for assistance and they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had some major savings. Using up is great for the budget.

    Love Fiesta Rice, mainly because you can use any veggie you like. Great way to use up the bits and bobs.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie. I agree that using up is good for the budget. Depending on how far you take it you can really save money and use up things you may pass over if you had new groceries.

      Delete
  7. Tommy's reacher broker--one of the little arms--and there was no fixing it. It only cost $1 at Warehouse Freight, so not much of a loss except the next one was over $20. Good mend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love My 600 lb Life, but love Hoarders even more. Lol guilty pleasures!! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, yes, I love Hoarders too! They are definitely guilty pleasures ...ha ha!

      I hope you enjoy your weekend too!

      Delete
  9. Thank gosh for prescription programs. I know Amazon Prime has a program where you get even more savings if you are a Prime member plus they can send your prescriptions to you within the day. I heard it's a great program. I know my Mom with her Medicare gets free vitamins & other health care items from pharmacy.
    I read at a frugality site if you have Medicare, FSA or Medicaid that Dollar General lets you have your health supplies, even toothpaste for free. It is only for certain States but worth looking into.
    I have to help a lot of my elderly loved ones find cheap prescriptions so I try to keep up on all the programs, so they don't have to go through all that confusion.
    Normal frugal week here. I am masking up again. DH & I are living like it is last Summer. The isolation is starting to get to me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to look into the Amazon prescription program and see if it will save me money. That is great about Dollar General. You are filled with good tips today, thank you.

      Today was the first day out of the house for me since Monday and I really needed to get out. The isolation does get to you. We are masking up too when we go into places. The drs office always wants me to mask up and I have no issues with complying.

      I hope you are having a good weekend.

      Delete
  10. Your doctor is a good one for knowing the prescription options and referring. The fiesta rice sounds like a win as well- love using what's on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam. I agree on using what is on hand.

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...