Sunday, June 25, 2017

Fourth Frugal Week of June 2017

Last Friday I made arrangements with someone on Craigslist for a free chair. We both agreed to the day and time, but when I went to the home no one answered either door and they ignored my text as well. Sometimes our good deals do not always come through. 

Lucky for us though we were able to pick one up while we were going to yard sales on Saturday, so we were happy with that. 

Last Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and Wednesday we stayed home, so no wear and tear on the car, no gas used, and no money spent. 

On Monday, dd went to her Zumba class while I did a quick run to Food City. I found bananas on markdown as well as taco sauce and water chestnuts. I also bought more 15 bean dry soup beans and tortillas. 

The only other groceries we bought this week came from Aldi, which included two watermelons and ten packages of sweet corn on the cob. Both were on sale and a great price. 

We packed a lunch to take with us on Monday and brought water to drink in reusable water bottles. 

We also went to McKay Used Books on Monday.  I found a good book about sewing. 

We also went to the thrift store. I found a couple of shirts to reuse the material. And an electric can opener. I found a brand new Saltbox Illustrations notepad, still in the wrapper for 55¢. That will be going into my gift closet for Christmas.

I made four more cloth pads for my daughter this week. I've made her a total of seventeen pads now. 

Friday we went to multiple yard sales including some in Chattanooga. We found several things that we were needing such as a new rug for the bathroom ($1.50), a new shelf for our board games ($2.00),  a pencil box filled with new embroidery thread ($1.00), heated drying rack ($5 goes for $47 @ Amazon).

Ironing board ($1.00), two Dr. McDougall books ($1.00 each), several board games (50¢ each), several items of clothes (4 pieces for 50¢ and the lady even gave dd a very nice coat), and multiple other things I cannot recall right now. We checked off several things on our "things we need list", which is always a good thing.

How was your week? Hopefully it was a frugal one. :)

Belinda
~ Living within our Means ~

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a good week. Bummer about that CL chair, but it worked out for you in the end, finding another one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW you got some great deals. Garage sales are still few and far between here for some reason.
    Sorry you made a trip for nothing on the chair - but maybe it was for the best. I am glad you found another.
    Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. I hope the yard sales pick up soon in your area. They are some of our favorite things to do during the summer time.

      Delete
  3. Belinda, question about the 15 bean dried beans. I have made that soup in the past and I always felt like it needed something more. Anyway, an online acquaintance on another board said she bought some that said Cajun seasoning, have you even seen them or tried them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Lou, when I can find them I buy Hurst's 15 Bean Cajun soup beans as the flavoring package is very good. When I buy regular 15 bean soup I look for ones with the flavor pouch inside. I can buy the Food Club brand, which has ham seasoning in it, but sometimes they forget to add the pouch of seasonings, so I make sure to see if it is in the package while I am still in the store. I've done this since I bought one with no package and have also seen some in the store with no pouch of seasoning. But the cajun flavored ones are terrific.

      Cutting up an onion to cook along with the beans also helps to make them more flavorful.

      Delete
  4. Great yard sale finds!

    We did a little thrift store shopping, but nothing grand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I will have to check out a couple of stores to see if they have the Cajun. I did use the ham seasoning pouch when I made the soup and I still felt something was missing. But it might be me since I gave some to a friend and she raved about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'll be able to find the cajun ones, Mary Lou. You can order them online if you need too, but then the cost of shipping needs to be factored in, unfortunately.

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...