Monday, October 9, 2023

Saving Money in my Frugal Kitchen ~ Menu Plan Monday

 

Saving Money in my Frugal Kitchen


Recipe of the Week

This recipe comes from the North Dakota State University also know as the NDSU and their Extension Nourish Newsletter. Back in September of 1995, this website had an excellent collection of recipes called, Eating Well While Spending Less

There were five weeks worth of meals and recipes you could follow. The links to those pages no longer work, but I was able to find all of them on the Internet Wayback Machine, and I've linked them below in case you're interested in reading them. 


Ingredients:


1 medium acorn squash

1 tablespoon olive oil

½ - 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons brown sugar

¼ cup chopped nuts (suggested walnuts, pecans or almonds)

¼ cup dried cranberries


Directions


Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Rinse, then cut acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds from the middle with a spoon. After removing the seeds, cut each squash half into four wedges and place into a baking dish. Brush the wedges with olive oil and top with brown sugar and pepper. Bake for 40 minutes or until squash can be pierced by a fork. In a saucepan, heat butter, nuts and cranberries over medium heat. Spoon mixture over squash wedges.


What’s for Breakfast


This week's breakfasts included your choices of chicken tacos, yogurt with fruit, oatmeal with walnuts and blueberries, cottage cheese, boiled eggs, and pizza eggs. 


What’s for Dinner

Meatless Monday ~  Not a meatless Monday here as I took Chicken Teriyaki out of the freezer to thaw for dinner. I'll be serving that a choice of sides including pinto beans, potato salad, Waldorf salad, and apple crisp for dessert seekers. 

Taco Tuesday ~ Mexican Beef, Cole Slaw, Fried Green Tomatoes. 

Wednesday ~ Soup & Salad night. We had Broccoli Cheddar soup for dinner and I bought two marked down salad kits, which I made to go with the soup. 

Thursday ~ Another Soup & Salad night here as we had Chili for dinner and Salads to go with the Chili. 

Friday ~ And finally, we ate the last of the bagged salads tonight. When you get salads on markdown it's important to eat them right away as they will not last, and we don't want to buy them and then waste them. So, sometimes that means eating salad three days in a row, but we are OK with that. 

We both had late lunches this day and were not as hungry as usual for dinner. So, I also made us a small pizza using a low carb flour tortilla with light mozzarella cheese and turkey pepperoni for a light supper. 

Saturday ~ Dirty Rice with Andouille sausage, Baked Potato for me, Steamed Carrots, and Baked Apples. 

Sunday ~ the last of the Dirty Rice with andouille sausage for Bailey (too hot/spicy for me), Planned over Baked Potatoes crisped up in the air fryer, carrots, and apples. 
 and raid your cupboards or

Belinda
Mortgage & Debt Free
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree

~ She looketh well to the ways of her household ~
Proverbs 31:27


8 comments:

  1. Thanks Belinda for the links to the Eating well websites. They will really be helpful for me and my husband. Have a good week. Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome, Barb. They were very valuable to me when I first found them too.

      Delete
  2. Dirty rice sounds delicious - I haven't had any in years. I'm with you on the bagged salads, and you reminded me that I need to eat the two I picked up this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could eat salad every day - so many ways to top it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are so many different varieties to enjoy. 😊

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a yummy week. Soup is perfect for this cooler weather. I love squash, but I usually have butternut, so thanks for the acorn squash recipe. How cool that you found the collection weekly recipes. I need to check them out.
    Hope that you are feeling ok and having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, this is perfect soup weather, Kathy. I‘ve been wanting some hot and sour soup. I have some tofu on hand, so I could make some. I hope you are doing well too.

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...