Monday, October 30, 2023

Saving Money in my Frugal Kitchen ~ Meal Plan Monday

 

Saving Money in my Frugal Kitchen


My Frugal Week

We didn't need to buy any groceries this past week as we were stocked up with plenty of food on hand. Some meals got creative in my efforts to avoid food waste, but that is OK with both of us. 

This week we were gifted a huge butternut squash. Rather than just bake the squash, I looked in my cookbooks for butternut squash recipes and they did not disappoint me. I plan on using it later this week for some soup.

Recipe of the Week

Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe

Ingredients:

2 pounds ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup sliced celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (24-ounce) bottle of spaghetti sauce
3 cups beef broth
3 cups water
1 (14-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
2 cups cubed potatoes
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup sliced fresh green beans
2 teaspoons basil
1 large bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Directions


Brown ground beef in a large soup pot.

Add onion, celery, and garlic.

Cook and stir until vegetables are soft and translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients, stirring to combine.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.

Allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.


Photo of the Week



Old South Pickled Okra, available from Walmart for $6.92 for a 64 ounce jar and is delicious and only 15 calories for two pods.


Beverages This Week


Sweet or Unsweet Tea 🫖 

Herbal Tea 🪴 

Red Mountain Dew (birthday treat)

Lemonade 🍋 


What’s for Breakfast


Leftovers, Cottage Cheese, Cheddar Cheese, Yogurt, Walnuts, Deviled Eggs, Overnight Oats, and Fruit which included Peaches, Oranges and Grapefruit this week.


What’s for Dinner


Monday ~  White Chicken Enchiladas, I did one pan with tortillas and one without. I served this with a spinach salad with tomatoes, and Green Peas. 

Tuesday ~ Movie Night, so homemade pizza for dinner. 😋 

Wednesday ~  Baked Beenie Weenies, Air Fried Potatoes, Green Beans. The cost o this meal was $1.73 and fed two adults plus leftovers for lunch the next day. 

Thursday & Friday ~ I took a whole Lemon Pepper Rotisserie Chicken out of the freezer to thaw.  I pulled all the meat off the bones and chopped the chicken. I had white chicken enchilada sauce left from Monday night, so I used that for a gravy. 

I added some leftovers from the fridge such as peas and cornbread dressing to both complement the dish and use up the food to avoid food waste. It was a huge hit and made dinner for both Thursday and Friday.  

Saturday ~ Dirty Rice with Andouille Sausage for Bailey along with some green beans with onions, and sliced tomatoes. I made Chef AJ's Split Pea Soup for myself. Total cost for the meal was $3.78 with leftovers for several more meals.

Sunday ~ I pulled out the second Lemon Pepper Rotisserie Chicken from the freezer that I bought on markdown for $3.97 at the beginning of the month. I used it to make Fajita Baked Chicken using a free jar of salsa and a 99¢ block of cream cheese. I served this with air fryer potatoes and green beans with onions. Total cost for this dinner was $5.95 and made enough leftovers for more meals later. 

What’s on the Menu for This Coming Week

These are some items we have on hand that I can use to make meals this week. 

October Beans, Greens, Cornbread
Chicken, Corn Chowder
Lemon Pepper Chicken
Split Pea Soup
Butternut Squash Soup
Quiche
Shrimp

Be sure to come back next week to see what sides we serve with these main dishes.


Belinda
Mortgage & Debt Free
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree

~ She looketh well to the ways of her household ~
Proverbs 31:27


As an Amazon affiliate, I earn a small percentage that helps me to earn a living. Any items you place in your cart from one of my links means I will earn a small percentage from that sale. 





12 comments:

  1. All the meals sound sooooo yummy. Love soups and chowders this time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. Yes, I love the soups and chowders at this time of the year too. It's supposed to get cold tonight and any of those would make a great meal.

      Delete
  2. Nice work on the menu plan & creative menus! We've been really cobbling things together, but even if our meals are not as good as usual, and rely more on somewhat prepped items, they are still cheaper than takeout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, And yes, cobbling meals together is still cheaper than takeout.

      Delete
  3. That pickled okra is the best! And the big jar is a bonus!

    You knocked it out of the park with your menu and savings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lana. I really like the pickled okra.

      Delete
  4. Your meals sound delicious and inexpensive too! It is definitely soup weather here now.
    I've never tried pickled okra before, but it sounds tasty. My Mom used to can dilly beans which I loved. I wanted to get a jar of Aunt Bea's kerosene cukes when we were in Mt Airy, but $9 for a jar was a bit too expensive for me. ;) Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. I've always wanted to try dilly beans, but never have. They sound delicious. I would have passed on the kerosene pickles at that price too. LOL We had so much fun when we went there, good times!

      Delete
  5. Very delicious meals there Belinda. You are using things up wisely and getting more meals from them.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all sounds absolutely delicious, Belinda. I've never seen pickled okra - maybe it isn't a UK thing?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. I’m not sure about the pickled okra not being a UK thing or not. Inquiring minds want to know. 😂

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...