Friday, August 30, 2024

Final Frugal Friday August 2024

 

Welcome to Frugal Friday! 

Quote of the Week

Life is shorter and more fragile than you realize. Embrace what is within your power to control, and forget what remains outside of it. ~ Emily Dickinson

My Frugal Week


Bailey has been wanting a bigger TV set for long time now. We even found one at a yard sale that wouldn't work because we couldn't fit it into our car. This week she lucked up and found one at a thrift store. It's a 42 inch tv and she bought it for $35, which I consider a great deal. She is thrilled with it. 

This week I listed one item and sold one item on eBay. I had just lowered the price of the item to sell it faster and it worked.  

I submitted my receipts to Fetch this week and am working towards a $50 Kroger grocery  card. 

Since this is the end of the month I went over my budget with a fine tooth comb as I get ready to pay bills for the month. 

Burger King and Walmart Plus are offering a new deal. When you link your BK Royal Perks account with your Walmart Plus membership you'll be able to get a free Whopper every three months (with a purchase) and 25% off every digital order you make at Burger King. 

I saved two baggies that some of my medicine came in recently. Also, I had one rx delivered via the mail rather than go to the store and pick it up, which saves on gas and wear and tear on my car. 

This was drop off week for the Sweet Weepeat consignment sale in Hixson starting today. I had gathered a few things for Bailey to sell, but not like what we normally have to sell. Dollar Dash Day will be on September 11th, cash only, and I may go to the sale on that day. 

I had a nurse visit from my insurance company on Monday for an annual review and earned a $50 gift card to Walmart in the process. It will take around eight weeks for it come to, but I'll take it. 

Electric In The News This Week 

TVA approved a 5.25% rate increase this week, which means higher electric bills for Tennesseans starting in October.

The average increase will be about $4.35 each month. I mentioned last week that I had been turning off the ac at night, so I'm hoping we won't see too much of an increase. 

Speaking of electric, I've been using natural light to read by during the daylight hours rather than turning on a lamp in order to read. Taking advantage of natural daylight to get work done will help save money. 

Freebies


I just love Circle K and their rewards program. Not only am I saving 25 cents per gallon on my first five fillups, but they also sent me this freebie for a bag of potato chips and I can get a free drink if I want to go into the store. I always just pay at the pump, but this is a nice freebie. 

Funny of the Week

Bailey was coming up the driveway the other day when she saw something she had never seen before, a wild hog. She said it was huge about the size of a small horse. Dad and I have both seen them here, so I was not surprised. 

Question of the Week

What coffee brand do you prefer? 

Where do you find the most savings for on coffee? 

I'm not a coffee drinker, so don't pay attention to coffee prices. Now Bailey is into coffee, so I'm asking and wondering now because coffee can be expensive. I see the Bones and Drag Up coffee is popular on TikTok, but like  I know nothing about coffee. 

Avoiding Spending

Staying home is an important aspect of the frugal lifestyle. Every little bit of money you save adds up and makes a difference in the long run. One small action may seem insignificant in the long run, but if you repeat these frequently, they will have a positive long-term impact.

Staying home is one of the easier ways to save money because every single time you leave your house, whether or not you physically spend money, you are in fact spending money. Gas or wear and tear on your car, wear and tear on your good clothes and shoes, and any unplanned shopping, etc. 

Each outing costs money and one of the easiest ways to save money is to combine all those errands into one outing. This requires some planning and organizing, but it is doable.

Saving Money YouTube Videos

Eating For $1 A Day (Full Week) In 2024

That Lisa Dawn

What I've been Reading This Week

MIT Living Wage Calculator ~ This calculator shows we should be spending $8,090 for food each year, which works out to $675 per month. 

My Frugal Kitchen ~ Stretch Our Food Dollars

Food is one of the bigger expenses in many people's budget. If you're looking for ways to cut back on your budget, your food budget should be one thing you look at closely as there's almost always ways to reduce your spending here. First, eat out less and cook your own food more, which will save a lot of money right off the bat.


On Saturday I made six orange/mandarin orange jello fruit cups to have. I enjoy them as an evening snack with a spoonful of cottage cheese on top. 


Publix had the Fresh Express salad kits on sale this week for buy one get one free. I took one of the French Bistro kits and divided it into three servings, which brings the cost down considerably. Paired with a baked potato, these make an affordable lunch or dinner.  

Recipe of the Week

We had a cucumber that I wanted to use, so I created this salad. I was going to use plain Greek yogurt in the dressing, but realized I had a small container of sour cream to use, so I used that instead.  

Chickpea Cucumber Salad


Ingredients:


1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained

1 cucumber, diced

1 orange pepper, chopped

1 slice red onion, chopped

2 tbsp dried dill

½ cup sour cream

1 clove garlic, minced

Salt and Pepper


Directions:


Combine chickpeas, cucumbers, pepper, and onions. 

Mix sour cream, garlic, and dill together. 

Combine chickpeas and dressing. 

Season with salt and pepper. 

Cover and refrigerator until ready to serve.

 

What’s for Dinner

Friday ~White Chicken Enchiladas, Corn, Salad. 

Saturday French Bistro Salad Kit and Baked Potato with Cheese. 

Sunday ~ Grilled Chicken with an Asian Salad Kit. 

Monday ~ Grilled Chicken, Sweet Potatoes, Roasted Brussel Sprouts & Carrots. 

Tuesday ~ Soup Beans & Cornbread, which is a dinner from my southern heritage. I put the beans on to soak Monday afternoon. We will be eating on these all week long and putting some in the freezer for later. 

Wednesday ~ Fluffy Baked Omelet, Soup Beans, Cucumber & Chickpea Salad. 

Thursday ~ Chicken Stir Fry, and Soup Beans. I took a couple of servings of rotisserie chicken and a bag of cauliflower rice from the freezer to make this dinner. I love using up my frozen assets. I used an onion, broccoli, cabbage, and carrots to stretch the meal. I also added some fresh ginger into the dish. 

Friday ~ Bailey has book club, so I’m on my own for dinner tonight. I have some leftovers from the week and will have that for dinner. 

What’s been on the menu in your home this past week?

Savings of the Week

We first tried this Morton Coarse Kosher salt at a friend's home and really liked it. We enjoy adding it to things like baked potatoes and other vegetables. Amazon is selling a pack of six of them for $11.27 this week. Walmart sells this for $2.12, so buying them from Amazon saves me $1.45. 

Food Lion has boneless, skinless chicken breast on sale for $1.99 per pound, 5 pounds of potatoes for $1.99, making them 40 cents per pound, and Ronzoni pasta on sale for $1.19 with a 50 cent off coupon making them 69 cents, all through Tuesday, August 3rd. 


Thank you for dropping by my frugal blog, you are always welcome here. 

We would love to hear all about your week in the comment section.


Belinda
Homemaker at Heart
Mortgage & Debt Free
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree

~ She looketh well to the ways of her household ~
Proverbs 31:27


28 comments:

  1. (Little Penpen) oh no to the wild hog!! lol I’ve never seen one before and would have probably have been scared to death. I do a monthly subscribe and save with Amazon, so my Maxwell house coffee is much cheaper that way. Nice score on the tv!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bailey was pretty freaked out over the wild hog. I will look into the Maxwell House on Amazon, thank you. :)

      Delete
  2. Coffee: I buy Starbucks French Roast beans at Costco. AND, they are on sale for 4 weeks!! I don't buy coffee 'out'.

    Great buy on the TV :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never though about adding chickpeas to my cucumber salad. That would definitely make this a heartier meal.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really does help to make the salad heartier, Jackie.

      Delete
  4. Oops, not sure what happened to my other comment. We also buy our coffee beans at Costco. Great deal on the TV!

    I used to buy a lot of bagged salads, but have been making them from garden ingredients for the last few months. I'll miss it when our lettuce dies out, for sure!

    (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've always wanted a membership to Costco, but don't have one at this time. Yes, I would say you'll miss the lettuce too when it dies out. I know I would.

      Delete
  5. We buy the whole bean Members Mark coffee at Sam's Club. It is the best coffee in our opinion. I believe they also have kosher salt in bulk. We save a ton of money at Sam's. I got a postcard in the mail yesterday with a BOGO coupon for any Swaggerty's and no limit! I am going to use it on two boxes of the sausage patties. Our grocery budget for two is $275 a month and we eat really well by shopping sales. I have $100 left this month because we have just stayed home out of the heat. I will just let it roll over and be there for holiday foods when the sales start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, I love the Swaggerty's sausage the best. I got a coupon in the mail from them this week too. That is a great idea to use your $100 for the holiday sales when they start. I like Sam's Club although we do not currently have a membership, but I do enjoy the savings there when we do have one.

      Delete
  6. So in regard to the electric going up. Ours is expected to go up next month by about 12 percent. That does include water. I used some free Amazon money that I got from Fetch and got some solar light bulbs, they are just enough for me. I'll see if it makes a difference in my bill. They also have bigger lamps that run on solar. I just started the little one. Anything can help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great ideas, Lisa. I will have to look into those on Amazon, I'm with you, anything can help, :)

      Delete
  7. great deal on the TV. Sounds like a nice week. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great deal on the TV! I'm sure you will enjoy watching on the bigger screen.
    Oh wow, I think a wild hog would have freaked me out. I don't think that we have them around here, but we sure have other wildlife.
    Your meals sound yummy. I think we will grill burgers and hot dogs with all the fixings this weekend. Hope you have a nice Labor Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. Bailey was definitely freaked out by the hog. She had never seen one before. Your menu for the Labor Day weekend sounds delicious. I hope it is a good one for you and your family.

      Delete
  9. Hi Belinda. Great deal on the tv and earning the $50 WM gift card. I'm no help on specialty coffee, our small town has six coffee shops I've never been in. I drink Maxwell House master blend.
    The You Tube videos sound intriguing. I've gotten good at staying home more and doing all the errands I can in one trip. I live a few miles out of town so going into town isn't so tempting. I'm not a great cook but we like eating at home better than fast food, except pizza lol.
    You are right about little savings adding up. I love the saying " it's easier to save $1 a thousand times than it is to save a $1000".
    Belinda I hope you and Bailey have a great Labor Day weekend.
    Sky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sky. I love that saying and it is so very true too. I tend to stay home more these days too, that way I can't spend any money, LOL

      Delete
  10. I know absolutely nothing about coffee. Tommy will drink anything. I have never drunk coffee and hear him saying nothing about what he likes. When we went to Barnes and Nobles, I sent a cup of their coffee out to him. He loved it. It was a cheap Starbucks.
    Now, why did the nurse come to your house and give you the $50 card?
    That hog is scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Linda. I don’t drink coffee, so don’t know about it. My insurance company sends the nurse once a year to do a checkup, not sure why but I like the benefit. Yes, on the hog. They can be dangerous!

      Delete
  11. We had lots if cucumbers too! I was fed up of eating them raw/in salads, so I cooked up a bunch of cucumbers. It resembles the taste of courgette (zucchini for Americans).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoy your bigger TV. That cucumber recipe sounds refreshing, cooling, and delicious. Thanks. Wild Hog? Scary!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judee. And I agree with you on the wild hog. Yikes!

      Delete
  13. I am a homebody and also cooks all meals at home. You are right. Both saves a lot of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly do, Nil. I hope your school year is off to a great start!

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...