Friday, May 31, 2024

Final Frugal Friday of May 2024

                                             


Welcome to Frugal Friday! 

My Frugal Week

Except for Wednesday, I spent my days at home this week, which I love as I tend to get more done on those days compared to days when I have to leave the house for an appointment or errand. 

I'm having issues with our garbage man, sigh. He didn't come by on Saturday and finally called on Wednesday and said he would be here Thursday. Bailey is ready to fire him, but I'm not, but I did hire another garbage service to come each week for only $35 a month, which is cheaper than I pay our regular garbage man. 

The reason I won't let our regular garbage man go is because we have several irons in the fire with him. He is the one who cut down the tree recently and he still has clean up to do from that. He stays busy working a fulltime job and volunteering for our fire department, so I know he is a busy man. 

We go back a long way, as he was a student when I subbed and he knew both Mom and Dad and did a lot of work for both of them. He will carry groceries up from my car up the stairs if I ask him too and I can count on him for certain things. 

But, it is summer time and I can't have garbage on the back porch for days at a time with it being bear season, so I hired someone else to pick up the slack for now. 

Question of the Week

This week I've been reviewing my membership in various Facebook groups. I checked to make sure they are still active and relevant and I unjoined several that didn't fit that criteria. 

At first I started out at over 300 groups, as it had been a long time since I last sorted through them, so this week I whittled that down to 120. Some of them are similar groups, but I don't want to miss out on any information. And some of them I just can't leave like the one I paid to be in and the founder abandoned ship. (Grrr!)

How many Facebook groups do you belong to? Or, what are some of your favorite groups? Mine include Living Simply, The Tuesday Afternoon Club, and Everything Frugal. I only have three groups pinned as those are the most important to me at this time. 

Avoiding Spending

I definitely avoided spending this week since I stayed home. On the one day I did venture out of the house, I had three appointments, but still did not spend any money, so I'm calling that a win!

How was your week?


Thank you for dropping by my frugal blog, you are always welcome here. 


Belinda
Homemaker at Heart
Mortgage & Debt Free
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree

~ She looketh well to the ways of her household ~
Proverbs 31:27


12 comments:

  1. Sorry about the problems with the trash man. It sounds like he is really busy, but if he has been helpful and reliable in the past, I think it is kind of you to work with him.
    Wow, your trash pickup is expensive though. We live in the country too, and until the past few years, we had to take our trash to the dump station. We use Meridian Waste Management now, and it is only $30/month. Don't know if they are in your area, but they have been reliable and worth every penny. :D
    I'm not on Facebook anymore so no groups for me. Do you remember a site called ivillage or parents place back in the 90's-2000's. My kids were little at the time, and I enjoyed chatting with other Moms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. He has always been reliable and I know he is busy helping others, so I like to cut him some slack and I'm grateful he helps as much as he does.

      OMG, I made a mistake by typing $35 a week, thank you for catching that, Kathy. I've corrected it now as it's $35 s month. I was reading your comment and thinking "what?" to myself and had to go back and read what I wrote, LOL.

      I do remember the ivillage message boards, it was a great place to chat with other Moms. The good ole days. :)

      Delete
    2. It's hard balancing your own needs, with other people's priorities and not getting people upset, or bridges burned. I'm going to be having a hard conversation myself in that respect.

      Delete
    3. You hit the nail on the head, Sam. I do not want to ruffle any feathers, so I am taking it slow and easy.

      Delete
  2. I think I belong to maybe 2 active groups - one is for my local Buy Nothing, and the other is for parents of Sam's college class. It has details about move in date, finding a roommate, etc. I don't have other FB groups, but maybe I'm missing out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like message boards, you may like them, but like some groups there can be drama too,

      Delete
  3. I can understand garbage needing picked up weekly, but do understand why you wouldn't cut him loose. Sounds like a very busy guy.
    Boy, I sure don't belong to that many groups - but a few. I am sure we have some in common.
    Nice to have those weeks to stay home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry your regular trash guy is causing you grief, but I can understand why you are keeping him on. I belong to a few groups mostly garage sale ones here in my city. I do belong to a couple of frugal ones, but I think I might have to check them out as I don't see any posts from them lately.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie. I have a lot of yard sale groups in my FB groups too as sometimes we can get items to sell in Bailey's online shops, so that works for us. :)

      Delete
  5. (Little Penpen) I think I would hang on to the garbage guy, too! Sounds like you enjoyed your week at home. I love being home, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite things to do is staying home. :)

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...