Sunday, February 12, 2017

The Weekend Wrapup

The weather has been mild here this week and we've not had to have the air or heat on, which will save on the electric bill. Usual frugal things we did included packing our own lunches, bring our own drinks (water), combining errands, keeping the lights off, etc.

We also...

Listened to free music on Pandora Radio.

Researched new tires for my car and will include that in another post at a later date. 

Closed my savings account. The bank that I have been with since 1999 began charging me $9 per month for my savings account. So, I moved that money into a free online savings account and closed my old account.

I will also be closing my checking account with them this month as they are charging me $8 a month for that service. So, I will also be closing my checking account and opening one at the credit union that offers free checking. That move will save me $96 over the course of one year. 

We recently watched two movies on two separate Family Movie Nights. We watched Middle School: The Worst Years on My Life that we borrowed from the library and we rented The Great Gilly Hopkins from Redbox using a coupon, so we paid 55¢ to watch it. The Middle School film was OK while I really like The Great Gilly movie. I would recommend it.  

My daughter and I were talking about pot pie the other day and how much she enjoyed it. Then she made a comment that gave me an "aha" moment. She said that she didn't even need meat in a pot pie, it was all the other stuff she liked. I knew then that I had to add a vegetable pot pie to our menu for the month and that would be cheaper than making a pot pie with meat and just as good tasting. 

I placed the leftover vegetable chili and Cajun soup beans from the refrigerator into individual bowls and froze them for lunches at a later date.


Breakfast today was homemade waffles since I usually have extra time to make a more involved breakfast on Sunday. 


We turn our bottles upside down to get the last little bit out of the bottle.


For dinner I will be using one of the packages of ground beef I put in the freezer last weekend. I have some Campbell's beefy mushroom soup that I will use for gravy to serve over the Salisbury Steak.



I'll serve it with rice, since we are out of potatoes, corn, and a slice of bread with butter. The bread was on mark down at Walmart for 50¢. 


I did an inventory of my spices this weekend to see what I had on hand and what I need. I know I need Lawry's seasoned salt and some vanilla extract. It will definitely be imitation this year as the cost of vanilla extract has skyrocketed according to the news. 

These are the spices that I have on hand:

Spices
 
Accent
Allspice, ground
Alum
Basil
Bay Leaves
Black Pepper
Celery Seed
Celery Salt
Chili powder
Cloves, ground
Cloves, whole
Coriander
Cream of Tarter
Cumin
Curry
Fennel
Garlic powder
Garlic salt
Italian Seasoning
Lawry's Chicken/Poultry Rub
Mustard Seed, ground
Mustard Seed, whole
Old Bay Seasoning
Onions, dried, chopped
Onions, powder
Oregano
Paprika
Paprika, Hungarian
Paprika, Smoked
Parsley
Red Pepper Flakes
Sage
Salt
Taco Seasoning Mix
Thyme
Turmeric

That's all the news from here. 

I hope you have had a great weekend.  :)

Belinda
~ Living within our Means ~

4 comments:

  1. The waffles look yummy. We had breakfast for dinner on Friday. Great deal on the bread. Our high was 73 today so no need for heat or air :)
    Have a great week,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti. What nice weather you are having too. I love it like that. I hope you have a great week too. :)

      Delete
  2. It's always irritated me when banks charge me to keep my money. We use a local government credit union and we pay $1 a month, but they support many things that we are willing to contribute $1 each month.

    I love vegetable pot pie. I don't know if you have tried one with beans, but my daughter in law makes one that she included beans in and it is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the vegetable pot pie with beans sounds good!

      $1.00 a month is a great price for a checking account. I am going to switch over to a credit union too as they are the one with the no frills free checking.

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...