Monday, August 28, 2023

Saving Money in my Frugal Kitchen ~ Menu Plan Monday

 

Saving Money in my Frugal Kitchen


My Frugal Week

One of my friends gave me some sweet potatoes this week and it was more than we could reasonable eat right now, so I baked them in the oven and then peeled and mashed them up and stored them in freezer containers and placed in our freezer. Now we will have sweet potatoes for months to come.

On Friday I took a bag of chicken leg quarters out of the freezer to thaw and then cooked them on Saturday and pulled all the meat off the bones. I ended up with four cups of chicken meat. 

I used part of the chicken to make White Chicken Enchiladas for dinner and then made a second batch of enchilada filling, but put that into the freezer for another meal later. Bailey, who didn’t know I used dark meat, complimented how good they were. She thinks dark meat has a lot more flavor than white meat. 

What was for Dinner…

Meatless Monday ~ BBQ Pork, Corn on the Cob, Cucumber Salad. 

Tuesday ~ Homemade pizzas for movie night along with garden salad. 

Wednesday & Thursday~ Pizza Beans~ It's been a while since I've made these and I forgot how good they taste. We definitely need to be making them more often. 

Friday ~ Grilled Chicken, Steamed Broccoli. 

Saturday ~ Pizza Bowls, Corn on the Cob, Deviled Eggs, Golden Honeydew Melon. 

Sunday ~ White Chicken Enchiladas, Garden Salads. 

What’s on the Menu for This Coming Week

These are some of the meals I am considering making this week based on food we have on hand. 

Crustless Broccoli Cheddar Quiche
Grilled Salmon
Stuffed Cabbage Soup
Soup Beans & Cornbread

Be sure to come back next week to see what other main dishes and sides we serve with these main dishes. 
 resourceful and raid your cupboards or

Belinda
Mortgage & Debt Free
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree

~ She looketh well to the ways of her household ~
Proverbs 31:27




Homemade yogurt that didn’t set up well – mixed with some homemade jam;

Leftover Jell-O that didn’t set up well or Jell-O that you make for this purpose from a store brand.

Juice or syrup left over from canned fruit. 

Juice that has been in the fridge and needs to be used up.

Kool-Aid or lemonade mixes bought on sale.

14 comments:

  1. Nice job prepping the Sweet Potatoes for future use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard from other sources that dark meat has more flavour.

    Great prep work and how nice to have sweet potatoes for many meals in the future.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie. I like having “frozen assets” in the freezer.

      Delete
  3. I bookmarked your recipe and am going to make the pizza beans when the weather cools off. I think it is something we will really enjoy.
    I tried to post earlier but I am still having issues leaving comments. This makes reading blogs less fun when commenting is hit or miss.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you all enjoy the pizza beans. I know what you mean about hit or miss with blogging comments. It can be frustrating at times and other times it works well. I hope you have a great week too. 😊

      Delete
  4. Oh I love sweet potatoes! Great idea to bake and freeze them to enjoy for later. Your meals sound so good! Thanks for the enchilada recipe and pizza beans recipe, yum! I bought some chicken thighs and legs last week, as that was the only meat on a good sale. I was hoping that there would be some good sales for Labor day weekend but I'm not seeing much. I'm hoping to get the kroger butter for $1.99/lb anyway.
    Have a great week and weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great deal on the Kroger butter. I would like to get in on some of that too. The white chicken enchiladas are Bailey’s favorite dinner. The sauce tastes so good and the recipe makes extra, so you can spoon it over your enchiladas when you plate it up. I’m hoping for some good Labor Day specials this week too, but I still need to puruse the ads. I hope you’re having a great week. 😊

      Delete
  5. You cannot beat homemade pizza! I like your list from things you need to use up. Tonight we had a Quiche with a heap of spinach that needed to be used... and I have a lot of eggs... it was delicious and I made a salad with things I had. It worked out to be so nice. Thank you very much for having The Bluebirds are Nesting on the Farm on your list. Meal planning is such a good thing and your ideas are all great.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet, thank you. The quiche and spinach idea is great to use up the spinach. Having a lot of eggs on hands makes quiche an affordable recipe and you can use up lots of items from your fridge. I love the Bluebirds are Nesting on the Farm blog. It’s a keeper, I hope you have a great Thursday. 😊

      Delete
  6. Your meals sound great. I ordered a lot of delivery this week when I was sick, so am trying to clean out the fridge & ensure nothing goes to waste, now that I'm feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I’m so glad you’re feeling better. You’ve got a good plan there. 😊

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...