Monday, August 21, 2023

Menu Plan Monday ~ Saving Money in our Frugal Kitchen

 

Saving Money in my Frugal Kitchen


My Frugal Week

We had a very frugal week this past week eating every meal at home. 

Recipe of the Week

Green Chicken Chili


Ingredients:


16 ounces green salsa verde
8 ounce block cream cheese
Chicken Breast

Directions


I used a bag of Tyson oven roasted diced chicken breast and put that in the crockpot on low for a couple of hours. About an hour before dinner I added a block of cream cheese and let that melt well. 


What’s for Dinner

Monday ~ Chicken Nachos, with Lettuce, Tomatoes and Onions. 

Taco Tuesday ~ I actually made Tacos for Taco Tuesday. Tacos with cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions. 

Wednesday ~ Bailey had a dentist appointment and stopped in at Walmart afterwards and found four hamburgers on markdown. So, we had those for dinner on Keto buns along with lettuce, tomatoes, and onions. I also had a ginger gstirfry vegetable kit to go with them. 

Thursday ~ I made a new to us recipe for Green Chicken Chili from Tonya on TikTok. She made this into a cottage cheese bowl, but we left the cottage cheese out. The recipe was very rich even though I used the low-fat cream cheese. I think half a block of cream cheese could be used instead of the whole block. I served this with baked potatoes and broccoli. 

Friday ~ Bailey had a movie night with her dear friend, so I was on my own for dinner. I had a nice salad with romaine, broccoli, cucumbers, green olives, beets, tomatoes, nuts, light ranch, and rotisserie chicken. It was delicious. 

Saturday ~ Grilled Blackened Chicken on Garden Salads. I made this with olive oil and some spices and then cooked the chicken on 400 degrees for 12 minutes in the air fryer. 

Sunday ~ Sunday Tea~Spa Day ~ I used some of the chicken from Saturday night dinner and chopped it in the food processor and made chicken salad with grapes and pecans. We had plenty of fruit on hand to accompany the chicken salad, such as peaches, nectarines, cantaloupe, and golden honey dew. 

What’s on the Menu for This Coming Week

The items we have on hand to make meals this week include chicken, pork, canned salmon, eggs, frozen salmon filets, and ground beef. Vegetables include sweet potatoes, romaine, corn, peas, green beans, carrots, broccoli, and tomatoes. 

I’m definitely going to be making pizza beans this week. Maybe a quiche or breakfast for dinner too?

Be sure to come back next week to see what main dishes we decide on and what side dishes we serve with them. 
your cupboards or

Belinda
Mortgage & Debt Free
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree

~ She looketh well to the ways of her household ~
Proverbs 31:27




Homemade yogurt that didn’t set up well – mixed with some homemade jam;

Leftover Jell-O that didn’t set up well or Jell-O that you make for this purpose from a store brand.

Juice or syrup left over from canned fruit. 

Juice that has been in the fridge and needs to be used up.

Kool-Aid or lemonade mixes bought on sale.

10 comments:

  1. Great way to use things up in your kitchen. How wonderful to be able to get hamburger patties at a reduced price.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything sounds absolutely delicious! I don't cook with cream cheese for that exact reason - it's way too rich for me. Thank you so much for mentioning the air fryer. I had a bad experience the first time I used an air fryer, so I never tried it again. I should try the air fryer feature on my Foodi instant pot to see how that turns out.

    I'm not too familiar with cottage cheese prices, but I buy a big 40 oz container at Sams for less than $5. Just thought I'd mention it in case you want to compare it with your grocery store price. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That describes it perfectly, way too rich for me. The chicken turned out well in the air fryer. I was doing chicken breast, so 12 minutes was plenty of time since I didn’t want them to be dry. I’ll definitely be looking at the cottage cheese at Sam’s Club. We go thru a lot of it and that is a good price, thank you. 😃

      Delete
  3. Can save so much money eating from home every day. I went out the other week which I rarely do for dinner for two, and came to over £100. Should have just got her a kebab :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, eating at home is a real money saver. Restaurants have had to raise prices due to higher costs and the cost to consumers has risen so much. It’s definitely a treat around here often saved for special occasions like birthdays. 😊

      Delete
  4. Yum! Your meals sound so good. Thanks for the recipe, and I'll use your suggestion to halve the cream cheese. Hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. I hope you’re having a good week too. We are trying to stay cool here. It’s 92 degrees outside, but feels like 98 according to the temperature app. 🥵

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...