Friday, November 25, 2022

Fourth & Final Frugal Friday of November 2022




Welcome to Friday! 

Price of Gas & Barrel of Oil this Week

Gasoline is $2.60 per gallon here while oil is $77.90 per barrel. 

My Frugal Week

It’s been a quiet week here even with Thanksgiving. This is the first Thanksgiving without Mom, and Dad returned to Illinois earlier this month. We do have company coming on Friday for two days, so that will be good. I made a stockpot full of chili for when they are here. 

I have about half of my Christmas shopping done already. I’ve also been thinking about what we will serve for Christmas this year. What do you plan on serving this year? I am thinking about Lasagne on Christmas Eve, and I’m going to start making my list so I can get organized ahead of time. 

Avoiding Spending

Remember the more effort you put into frugal and resourceful living during the times when you have more money than month, the easier it will be to get through the times when there is more month than money.

Saving Money In My Frugal Kitchen

We did all the usual money saving tips this week like eating all the leftovers, keeping the dishes washed and kitchen cleaned so we feel like going in there to cook. It’s so much easier to start with a clean kitchen.

I make my hot chocolate with water rather than milk, so we can save the milk for cereal and/or cooking.

Meals This Week

All meals are served with either salad or vegetables and may not always be listed here. 😊 

Grilled Chicken Salads
Meatballs in Gravy, Corn on the Cob
Mac & Cheese with Ham
Chicken Loaf
Chicken Cornbread Casserole (Recipe of the Week)
Ham
Chili

Recipe of the Week

This week I was watching a video from In The Kitchen with Mama Mel and she demonstrated four new chicken casserole recipes. 

Here is the video link: Chicken Cornbread Casserole

The first recipe intrigued me, so I decided to get the ingredients and make this. I knew Bailey would like it because it’s saucy and she likes Jiffy cornbread, which is sweet. This was delicious and definitely a keeper. We had the leftovers for brunch the next day. 

Farmhouse Chicken Cornbread Casserole


Ingredients:


Filling:


1 (10.5 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup, not diluted

1 (10.5 oz) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, not diluted

¾ cup milk

4 cups cooked, diced chicken

1 cup grated cheddar cheese


Cornbread:


1 (8.5 oz) box corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy brand)

1 (14.75 oz) can cream style sweet corn

⅓ cup sour cream

1 egg

2 tablespoons melted butter


Directions:


Preheat the oven to 400°F. 

Spray a 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray. 

In a large bowl, whisk together condensed soups and milk. 

Stir in cooked chicken and cheese.

Pour chicken mixture into a baking dish.

Mix Jiffy mix, corn, sour cream, egg, and butter. 

Spread evenly over the chicken mixture.

Bake, uncovered, for about 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the topping comes out clean. 

Cover loosely with foil if it starts to brown too much. 

Let stand for about 5-10 minutes, then serve. 


What I've been Reading This Week

If you're looking for something new to read don't forget about Project Gutenbergwhich is a library of over 60,000 free eBooks. There is also the FreeReadFeed website as well

Thank you for dropping by my frugal blog, you are always welcome here. 

How was your week? What did you do this week to spend less, save more and make do? We hope that you all had a blessed Thanksgiving and as always be safe and healthy.

We would love to hear all about your week in the comment section.


Belinda
Mortgage & Debt Free
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree



11 comments:

  1. I haven't got as far as thinking about Christmas Eve yet. It will be just me so I'll probably have something nice and light that feels like a treat and enjoy it by candlelight while watching the Christmas Eve service from Kings College, Cambridge, on the telly. Bliss. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound like bliss, Joy. And something nice and light and a treat sounds wonderful me. 😊

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a nice stress free week. I am sure you will enjoy your company. Those first holidays are sure the hardest. Big hugs.
    Have a great weekend with your visitors!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it's hard to have your first Thanksgiving without your mom. Hugs to you.

    We did the regular stuff this week, and there's been a lot of World Cup watching. We all did a race together yesterday, then relaxed, made food & enjoyed the days. The boys ended up going to play some tennis together before dessert.

    For frugal things, we're trying to stay on top of the food in the fridge & freezer, avoiding unnecessary purchases, and just generally avoiding thing we don't need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a really nice week for you all. I hope your weekend is equally enjoyable. 😊

      Delete
  4. For years we did the traditional turkey/ham meal at Christmas. In 2020, when it was just the two of us I decided to go Italian and I'm sticking with it. I like to feel fancy but not cook much on Christmas day so I make chicken parmesan, lasagna, fettuccini Alfredo, homemade pizza, etc. ahead of time, freeze it in portions and just reheat whatever we want, adding in a fresh salad and garlic bread. Then I usually go French for dessert and make a buch de noel, also a day ahead. It feels so indulgent but it's all relatively cheap to make, the biggest drawback is the prep time involved but I enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like your Italian theme. That would take the stress out of a big holiday meal. I usually start on the Monday before Thanksgiving and make one or two dishes per day to save my sanity on the actual day. 😂 This year I took it easy and didn’t cook all that food. I decided to be nice to myself.

      Delete
  5. About 5 years ago I moved to making lasagna with salad and garlic bread Christmas Eve. Sometimes I cheat a little and buy a prepared pan of lasagna.

    Changing it up this Christmas day. Instead of turkey I am going to make a ham. Youngest son says that is just fine, oldest could be slightly disappointed.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worked on Christmas shopping this past week, from home. The grandkids send me links to Amazon and I click and buy. LOL I've never met a chicken casserole I didn't like and the recipe you posted sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the Free Read Site link! I always love free books!

    ReplyDelete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...