Friday, May 14, 2021

Frugal Friday



Welcome to Friday! 


A rose from Bailey for Mother's Day. 

My Frugal Week

During the winter months we keep our back porch covered for the cats in order to keep warm. In the spring we always clean up this area and we did that this past week. 

We also put out the cat condo we bought for them the summer before last.  You can see that Simba and Polka Dot have already claimed a spot on it. 



I did some mending on a cloth pad this week.

I did not buy any gasoline this week, although some people did due to the cyberattack on Colonia Pipeline this week. I still cannot drive, so I did not see the need to buy any gas. 

We are growing tomatoes on our back porch this year. 

Office Depot has Simply Tide in the 128 ounce bottle on sale for $6.00 this week, so we picked up two bottles.  This normally sells for $8.94 at Walmart, so that is a savings of $5.88. 

I purchased a Christmas gift and received $10 off the original price. I read about this deal on the Sales-aholic.com Deals, Glitches, & Free Things Facebook group. I peruse this group using common sense. 

The person I bought the gift for told me about wanting this item a few weeks ago, so when I saw a deal on the item, I decided to check it out. I'm very careful when I check out these groups not to be impulse buying.  

I listed at least one thing  for sale on eBay.

Couponing

Bailey has been couponing again and adding to our stockpile. She follows the hashtag #couponingwalgreens on Instagram for inspiration. If you're interested in following her, you can do so here: BaileyAlexInc. She usually posts her deals in her stories. 



Saving Money In My Frugal Kitchen

One morning I made a smoothie for breakfast and used up a couple of items from the refrigerator. I used up several slices of a beet and the last of some hibiscus tea. 

Meals This Week

Chopped Salad

Saturday: Taco Style Lentils & Rice, Tortillas, Mixed Vegetables, Red, Yellow, and Orange Peppers, and Beets

Sunday: Mother's Day/Birthday dinner was pizza from a local Italian restaurant. My choice.  


Monday: One thing that I like to eat is Dirty Rice and I have stopped in at Bojangles in the past to bring some home before. I've seen Tony Chachere's Creole Dirty Rice Dinner Mix online, but was unwilling to pay for the high cost of shipping it, so I waited. I found some at Food City last week and decided to try it for dinner tonight.  

Tuesday: Spinach and Strawberry Salad

Wednesday: Chicken Fajitas, Onions and Peppers, Mexican Rica, Mixed Vegetables

Saving on Entertainment

I've been watching Bates Motel for free on Peacock. 

What I've been Reading This Week

Dr. Michael Greger How Not To Diet

How was your week?

Belinda
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree


If you are encouraged by what you read here, please consider supporting this site. 

 1. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn a small percentage that helps me to earn a living. Any items you place in your cart from one of my links means I will earn a small percentage from that sale. 

38 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's day and a very Happy Birthday!! What a beautiful rose; I wish we could smell it too.
    Your kitties seem very happy in their own condo. Love their names too. Lion King was one of my son's favorite movies when he was little.
    Sounds like Bailey has done a great job with the coupon deals. I haven't had much luck with walgreens but I'll check out Bailey's instagram.
    Let us know if you like the dirty rice mix, and I'll see if our food city carries it. Do you put sausage or ground beef in it?
    Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kathy.

      I put sausage in this dirty rice mix and we really liked it. Cheryl mentioned that Aldi had a dirty rice mix too, so we are going to try it too.

      I hope you have a great weekend too.

      Delete
  2. Did you like that brand of dirty rice mix? I've used the Zatarain's dirty rice mix and it is pretty good but it is a little more spicy than what you get a Bojangles. I make it with ground beef instead of sausage or chicken livers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello BaggysMama. I have tried the Zatarain's brand dirty rice and found it too spicy for me. Of course, I do not like anything too spicy and would be considered wimp. LOL

      I will have to try it with some ground beef next time.

      Delete
  3. You might try Aldi dirty rice. I really like it and it is very inexpensive. They have red beans and rice as well - which is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. I will definitely try them out.

      Delete
  4. Hello! Long time reader but first time to comment. I laughed when I saw your kitty’s name...Polka Dot, because I too have a Polka Dot! I usually just call him
    Poco. He’s white with orange spots. I enjoy your blog. 🙋🏻‍♀️
    Judy in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Judy. I really like the name Polka Dot and it matches our PD because he has spots on him. LOL It's so nice to hear from you. Thank you for reading my blog. I'm glad you enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great week! It was the usual here, no spending and sticking to the menu plan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the meals, they sound and look delicious. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will take a look at the Walgreens deal tips. No Rite Aids here. My daughter really likes the rice dishes. For the occasional change, nice to have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for link to fb group . I stocked up on men socks already.... cheap!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, good for you on the socks. I stock up on those when I can too.

      Delete
  9. We mostly did well, but unexpectedly got Chick Fil A one night, as we were able to get vaccines for the kids at a mass vaccination site & were out late. Totally worth it!

    I did the usual selling things on eBay, eating (mostly) what we have & avoiding splurges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how terrific that you were able to get the kids vaccines! I would splurge on CFA too.

      Delete
  10. What a neat FB page! I got the bluetooth wireless headphones, the large bamboo cutting board and the low-noise dog nail grinder tool. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Carol. I picked up some makeup brushes and a lighted magnified mirror.

      Delete
  11. I need headphones! I also need to start selling things, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to go through my books and visit McKay used book store soon.

      Delete
  12. Checking out the links you provided. Thank you!
    Hope this week is fantastic also.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Belinda your rose is so pretty. Happy Mother's Day.
    Simba & Polka Dot are so cute.
    I was not part of the gas shortage. Bless everyone who was. That must have been so upsetting. DH did buy gas this week but it was normal fill up. We are trying to keep it topped when prices start going up. We have always done that anyway. No big change.
    Bailey really scored couponing this week. I am trying to coupon again I feel so out of the loop. I really don't know what I am doing. I tried to get the Sunday paper for my area but they won't deliver where I live. They keep sending me deals in the mail, lol.
    Thanks for mentioning Bates Motel. DH & I were watching it and still need to finish the last season. I am so glad it's on Peacock for free.
    I am officially fully vaccinated by Wednesday. Yeah! So excited. I got second dose a week & half ago. Still had some severe side effects but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I was expecting bad side effects because it always happens no matter what vaccine I get so I did prepare in advance. I am really glad I did.
    I did get my home ready for the Summer. I did a massive big stock up for the Summer. Rotated my pantry and freezer items to eat the food that will expire this Summer. I did a big deep cleaning of all the rooms.
    I needed jewelry trays for my jewelry box. I found some cute frugal ideas on YouTube. I love them. It only cost me about $7 total for new trays. Jewelry trays are so expensive. I know I saved at least $30.
    I readjusted my health insurance because I could get the new tax incentive. I have the same plan but now my monthly bill is $0.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Safyne.

    We can not get the Sunday paper delivered here either. If we want it, we have to go out and buy one.

    Sounds like you've been busy spring cleaning in your home. That's great, I'm glad you were able to stock up for the summer too. And I'm glad you were able to save so much on the jewelry trays.

    I love that you got your health insurance down to $0.

    Peacock also has several of the actual Bates Motel movies if you would like to watch those too.

    Oh, I am so happy for you that you are fully vaccinated. That is such a good feeling I know. I'm sorry you had a few side effects, but like you I would do it no matter what.





    ReplyDelete
  15. I have heard about dirty rice, but never seen it here in Canada. I hope you liked it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good, Jackie. We will definitely have it again.

      Delete
  16. Thinking of you...hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. I’m doing fine. A little disappointed in my new glasses. I will be back to posting soon.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the update! I'm so sorry about your glasses.

      Delete
    3. You're welcome and thank you for checking in on me. You're the best~

      Delete
  17. Thanks for the check-in, I was worried about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm doing fine. I will be back to posting soon.

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Thank you, Vickie. That was so sweet of you.

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...