Sunday, March 19, 2017

Grocery Shopping Saturday

This week I perused the grocery store sale ads online since I did not pick up a copy of the newspaper. I looked through the sale ads, checked for coupons we had or could print and went shopping on Saturday morning. 

The first place we stopped at was Walmart because I had something to do that required shopping there that I will share in a blog post another time. I did pick up some croissants while I was there for $1.94 on markdown. 
After that we headed over to Food City. I had six coupons for $1.00 off Bush's Hummus Made Easy. Food City had it on markdown for $1.15, so I paid 15¢ for each of them. 

My daughter also found a rebate on them for 55¢, so we will be getting a rebate on them as well. 


We went early as I knew Food City would probably have meat markdowns and they did. 











I picked up three packages of premade hamburgers, three packages of cube steaks, two packages of small steaks (will make Swiss steak with these), and one package of pork chops. The total cost of the nine packages came to $23.91, which worked out to $2.66 a package. 

Our next stop was Sam's Club where I picked up four pounds of cheddar cheese and a block of American cheese. I also picked up a rotisserie chicken for dinner while I was there. 



Next stop was the Bakery Outlet to get bread. This one is located on Bonnie Oaks Drive in Chattanooga, which has better prices than the one located in Cleveland. 


I bought two loaves of Butter Bread for 79¢ each, 1 package of hamburger buns for 69¢, and two packages of hot dog buns for 69¢ each. 


My next stop was Aldi where I picked up four bags of onions, which were on sale for 89¢, and four cartons of eggs, which were on sale for 59¢ a dozen, which was an unadvertised special. 


My last stop of the day was at Publix where they had Oscar Meyer beef hot dogs and Mt. Olive Pickles both at buy one get one free, so I picked up two packages of hot dogs and four jars of pickles - two were dill and the other two were bread and butter. The hot dogs were $2.75 each, which is a great price for beef hot dogs. 




I spent a total of $80.21 today and saved $6.00 in coupons. All of these items will be added to our freezer and pantry to make meals over the course of the next few weeks. 

One of the ways we save money on our grocery bill is to shop the sales and markdowns as I've tried to show you in this post. 

I hope it was helpful.  :)

Belinda
~ Living within our Means ~

12 comments:

  1. Wow! You got some awesome finds/deals! I see some more warm weather type dishes there as well, with you being in the South. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Belinda,
    Those are some excellent deals! How is the hummus prepared? Is it a powder that you mix with water? I've seen the dry hummus in the bulk bins at WinCo but never tried it. Can't beat your price, with coupon, sale and rebate!!

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Belinda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lili.

      The hummus is prepared by adding it to a can of garbanzo beans in the food processor. Of course, I'll make mine from dried beans and whiz in the food processor. It has water, tahini, olive oil, and roasted red bell peppers and spices in it. They packages are squishy like a thick liquid would be. I figured for that price it would not hurt to try it. LOL

      I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend too. :)

      Delete
  3. Sigh.....I wish we had Walmart in Australia. those prices are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got some great deals this week. We usually go by our local grocery store on Sunday's after church and find a lot of markdown meats. We didn't make it today, but we have plenty on hand.

    Your blog is lovely.

    Hope you come for a visit: frugalhappyhome.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa.

      I will be sure to come by your bog for a visit. :)

      Delete
  5. Good job finding those bargains Belinda!
    I live in the North Georgia Mountains and our Food City is closing at the end of this month (it was Bi-Lo until,a,year ago). We have very little,competition here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I'm sorry your Food City is closing. Ours was a Bi-Lo until last year too. It's hard to find good deals when there is little competition. When Bi-Lo left our Publix stopped doubling coupons and ad matching, so we lost some savings we used to get there. It makes it harder to search for good deals, unfortunately.

      I hope you have a good week. :)

      Delete
  6. We don't have most of the stores you shop at here in Oregon. Still, we are able to find bargains-but I'm still in envy of the egg prices around the country--much lower than here.

    We just finished the last week of a month-long pantry challenge. I averaged out at $25 per week, plus what was in my freezers, pantry, and canning shelf for our family of 5. I have to say, the kids are quite done with this challenge and my oldest daughter took us all out to lunch one day and her sister talked her into buying pizza for dinner Saturday night. Pretty nice, I'd say, since she doesn't even choose to eat pizza herself! I'm quite satisfied with how it went, myself!
    I wrote about it on my blog: https://beckyathome.wordpress.com/2017/03/19/saving-money-march-19-2017/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becky. How neat that you did a challenge that worked out to $25 per month. I'll be coming by your blog to read about it. :)

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...