Friday, April 16, 2021

Frugal Friday


Welcome to Friday! 

I've not said it before, but I hate Covid. One of the boys in our community, who is Bailey's age, has been fighting cancer. This is the third time in his young life. He has been in the ICU for two weeks with Covid pneumonia. He has been wanting to go home, and so his doctors agreed to let him go home, but with Hospice care. My heart breaks for them. 

Quote of the Week
 "Saving money is not fun, but having money saved is a lot of fun."   
Jean Chatzky

My Frugal Week


We bought this bottle of OdoBan disinfectant right after the pandemic started in March of 2020. This is a concentrate, so we only used an ounce or two in a spray bottle and then filled the rest with water. We just now used up this bottle, so I figure each spray bottle of cleaner cost us around 30 cents to make, which is much cheaper than buying it in the single use individua bottles.  

Paid Off Medical Debt

I'm so happy this week. After paying on a medical debt I've had for a few years now, I am happy to say it is finally paid in full. I love being debt free again. 

Saving Money In My Frugal Kitchen

On Tuesday I boiled one dozen eggs and made egg salad out of them. 

Buying Food In Bulk



I ordered three cans of fruit this week. These are the big cans, which are 106 ounces and cost $8.48 from Walmart. I opened one can already and put it in one of my see through canisters in the refrigerator. That way it's easy to get a fruit cup to go with breakfast or lunch if we want one.  


I also bought oatmeal in bulk. The reason  I bought it was because we have been out of oatmeal for a long time. I've tried to buy it from Walmart, Target, and Amazon, but it would get destroyed in the box every time. So, I bought a case of six number ten cans from the online store of the Latter Day Saints. 
 
 l don't know about you, but I have always shied away from buying food in bulk online because of the high cost of shipping.  The reason I bought this was because they only charged me $3 for shipping which is a fantastic price to me.

This week I will make Peanut Butter Granola Bars to take with us when we yard sale next weekend. 

Some Meals This Week

Friday and Saturday: Pizza and Salad

Sunday: Baked Potatoes, Broccoli

Monday: Baked Chicken, Rice, Mixed Vegetables

Tuesday: We ate the last of the rive and vegetables for breakfast. Dinner was Hamburgers with lettuce, tomatoes, and onions along with the last of the potato salad. 

Saving on Entertainment

Minari  a Korean-American family that moves to an Arkansas farm in search of their own American Dream. The family home changes completely with the arrival of their sly, foul-mouthed, but incredibly loving grandmother. 

What I've been Reading This Week

22 Smart Money Tips Everyone Can Learn
Show me somebody who plans their dinner menus in advance, and I’ll show you a household CEO who understands how to effectively reduce her monthly food expenses.

That's all the news to report from here this week. How was your week?

Belinda
~ Living within our Means ~

14 comments:

  1. Congrats on paying off your debt! YAY!!!
    I have to disagree with the quote - I think saving money is 'fun' - it is a challenge and a game to me.

    I don't buy online - but from what I hear $3 shipping would be great!
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. And I agree with you that saving money can be fun. It's all in how you handle th details. We know yard sales are fun. LOL

      Delete
  2. I feel so bad for the young boy in your community, that is just horrible.

    Yay for debt free! I'm right behind you on that. By the end of next month I'll be debt free again too. It's a great feeling isn't it?!

    Sounds like it's been another good week for you. I totally agree with that smart money tip. Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha. Many prayers are going up for him.

      Yes, being debt free is a wonderful feeling!!

      I hope you have a great weekend too.

      Delete
  3. Great idea to buy the large cans of fruit if you know you can use in the week. Once my daughter is home for the summer, I think she easily would have a big bowl a day. Your disinfectant was a good buy. Well done to Bailey on her great sales-updated form her IG account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam. :) Your daughter would love the big bowl of fruit, I'm sure. It's nice and cold and so refreshing. I'll be sure to tell Bailey. :)

      Delete
  4. So sad about your community member. Sending good thoughts.

    Great news on paying off the debt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you on getting debt paid off. What a relief for you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie. It is a great feeing to have that paid off.

      Delete
  6. So sad about the young man. Life doesn't seem fair sometimes.
    Congratulations on being debt free! That is great!
    Thanks for the tip about the online store. Glad you have oatmeal again.
    Yay on being able to go to a garage sale again! Hope you find lots of great finds at a great price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. We are so looking forward tp yard sales again. Our first day out is Thursday. I can't wait LOL

      Delete
  7. I hate Covid too and I'm very sorry to hear about this little boy getting it that has struggled with cancer. It strikes the vulnerable, that's what I hate so much about it.
    You know me ..I'm looking up that recipe for PB granola bars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vickie. My heart goes out to him. He is hanging in there for now.

      I hope you enjoy the PB granola bars.

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...