Friday, January 22, 2021

Frugal Friday



Welcome to Friday! 

Quote of the Week
“Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.”
― Mason Cooley

How We Saved Money This Week:


One way I save money here is by making my own capsules

My doctor wants me to take turmeric every day for my arthritis and so I began to take a daily supplement last year, but have since read about contamination in turmeric. After doing some research, I decided to buy organic turmeric and thanks to Dr. Gregor knew that I needed to add black pepper to it for better absorption. I take one of these every day, and making my own capsules saves me money. 

I also make my own ginger and antioxidant-rich alma berry capsules for health reasons.

We had a Walmart grocery delivery on Thursday and are now stocked up on fresh vegetables, fruits, and other groceries to make meals for the next few weeks. 

There was a substitution for collard greens. I ordered one bunch of collard greens, but they were out and substituted shredded collard greens. I was going to use the collards for wraps and can't do that with the shredded ones, but we will use them anyway. I do believe we received more greens with the substitution. 

We ordered a new garbage can for the kitchen from Amazon this week. I saved money by choosing a different color than their standard black one. The color doesn't matter to me as I will be placing this one in the pantry where no one, but me, will see it. 

Saving on Entertainment


With the Inauguration of President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris  this week, we decided to watch Lee Daniels' The Butler, which is such a good film. It is based on the true story of Cecil Gaines who served eight presidents during his time as a butler at the White House, which included the civil rights movement, Vietnam, and other major events.

This was another quiet week here and we stayed home every day. We did the usual frugal things like cooking from scratch, turning out the lights when not using them, and have not needed to run the heat, a/c, or fans. 

What did you do to save money this week?

Belinda
~ Living within our Means ~
My Linktree


If you are encouraged by what you read here, please consider supporting this site. 

 1. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn a small percentage that helps me to earn a living. Any items you place in your cart from one of my links means I will earn a small percentage from that sale. 

20 comments:

  1. Making your own capsules is some what soothing and fun as well. Started taking turmeric a few months ago myself.
    Goodness - no heat? I have extended family down in those parts and have seen pics of snow!
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it snowed all around us, but not here this time around, Cheryl. I wouldn't mind some snow. LOL

      Delete
  2. That's really interesting about your tumeric tablets. I finally got caught up on some blood work that I've put off due to COVID, and need to start taking some supplements. Luckily, my husband already had some on hand, but it's interesting to think about making your own.

    For us, I made all of our meals at home, I "chatted" with an agent about two erroneous charges from Amazon (took 2 hours, as it was a complicated billing issue), sold a few things on eBay, and took advantage of a bunch of free lemons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good week for you. I bought lemons in my grocery order. I love them and they are good for you too. Can't beat that.

      Delete
  3. Great job as always Belinda! Lots similar here. Stocked up on fruits, veggies and a few BOGO items midweek, otherwise haven't gone anywhere other than for daily walks. All cooking made from scratch, and haven't had to run the heat or AC all month. My electricity bill will be at an all time low this month! Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha. Sounds like you had a good week too. I love not having the heat or ac on and it's great to have the lower electric bill. I hope your weekend is good one too.

      Delete
  4. I never knew you could make your own capsules. That's impressive Belinda!

    We had a very spendy week, but it's for things we needed. Our grocery shopping for this week was under $40, so I'm happy with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms. Goose. Your grocery bill this week is impressive. I would be happy with that too.

      Delete
  5. Interesting. I don't know anyone else that makes capsules, and I bet it does save you quite a bit.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does save us money, Jackie. And as we know, every little bit helps.

      Delete
  6. Hi Belinda! Do you think the turmeric works well? I’ve been thinking of trying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The turmeric does help some and is one of the tools I use to help. Ibuprofen also helps and the best thing I have fund is swimming. I feel great after a good long swim.

      Delete
    2. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

      Delete
  7. I have considered turmeric, but am still undecided.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the quote of the week.

    I have a friend who spends a lot for curcumin tablets. I should tell him about making capsules using organic turmeric powder. Thank you for the tip, Belinda.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All I could find was baby spinach..I wanted to use some for wraps too. I bought it anyway and decided to put in the salad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you are all well, Belinda.
    I logged in to read blogs and noticed that your Friday post wasn't there. So I just wanted to send you a quick message. :)

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking up on me, Nil. That was so sweet of you. I'm doing fine. I've been helping Bailey out with her shop as she got some new inventory in. We are both doing fine and hope you are too.

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...