Friday, June 22, 2018

Frugal Friday ~ June 22, 2018

The land next door to ours was clear cut last week, which has brought more sunlight and heat into our home. As a result, our house has been much hotter than it normally is this time of year. 

In the beginning we put dark fabric over the windows, which didn't help as much. Then we put black poster board in two of the windows, which brought the temperature down about five degrees. 

We opened up the house one night as it was actually cooler outside. We also have the ceiling fans running to help cool the rooms we're using. Cold wash cloths are helping too. 

It's been so hot in the house I haven't felt like cooking much due to the heat. It was so hot on Sunday that we ate cheese & crackers for dinner. 
----------------------------------------
We did the bulk of our grocery shopping for the month this week mostly shopping the sales. I bought twenty pounds of ground beef on sale for $1.99 per pound. 

Now I have my pantry and freezer pretty well filled with plenty of food to make meals for the next month. 
----------------------------------------
How was your frugal week?

Belinda
~ Living within our Means ~

10 comments:

  1. I wonder if you somehow fashioned window coverings out of those car windshield covers used on the inside of a car up against the windshield, to reflect the sun back out? Dollar store? Also, what's the status of the home's insulation. This makes a huge difference

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The home is very well insulated, so this is highly unusual. But I like the idea of the car windshield covers. I will have to look into that.

      Delete
  2. I'm in Alabama so we are dealing with the heat as well. Just trying to do what we can, and that's really all you can do right now. We have been having lots of showers which helps cool things off a little in the afternoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The showers really do help. We used to stay in our swim suits years ago when we had no ac and jump in the shower to cool off.

      Delete
  3. So far we are having what I consider a strange summer here. We had one hot day and today it is 61. We haven't even put the air conditioners in the windows yet, just using the ceiling fan in the bedroom. I hope you can figure out an inexpensive solution to your issues. My dd and I are going to Aldi's tonight. That place has certainly been helping with the grocery budget. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary Lou. 61 is cold! I might have a blanket on for that. Glad ALDI is helping with your grocery bill. You can’t beat that!

      Delete
  4. Hi Belinda,
    I put large pieces of cardboard (from large boxes) in our windows of our unused bedrooms to keep the heat in the winter and the hot air out during the Summer. It really does seem to help a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great idea, Debbie. That would also help with drafts. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry this happened. Can you do blackout curtains. You can buy blackout fabric at the fabric store too. It might cost a little more upfront it does save money. I know this is quirky. I am a day sleeper. I have mini blinds on my window, a regular shade and blackout curtains. My room keeps really cool now and our electric bill went down. It does look nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The black may have cut down on the heat. But, white is what you need to reflect the heat back out. Reynolds wrap on the poster board will help immensely. And, it is cheaper than the car reflector things.

    ReplyDelete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...