Saturday, October 22, 2011

Chili Tacos


One of my favorite ways to use up Chili is to make Chili Tacos, which is a tried and true family favorite. 

My grandmother used to make tacos this way when she was raising her family, and my Mom made these tacos when I was growing up, and now I make them for my family. 

My favorite way to serve them is with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and onions on top. I'm serving these for lunch today.

Here are the ingredients needed for this recipe:

Homemade Chili

Ingredients:
12 corn tortillas (or 3 per person)
(less or more for smaller or bigger appetites) 
1 onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
lettuce, chopped
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Vegetable Oil

Directions:

Heat the Chili on the stove top until piping hot.

Lower the heat on the chili just to keep it hot.

In a separate skillet, pour about 1/2 cup of vegetable oil in skillet and heat well.

Using tongs, place one tortilla in the hot oil and fry both sides.

Place onto a dinner plate.

Add one or two spoonfuls of chili onto the top of the tortilla.

Repeat the last two steps until there is a stack of three tortillas on the plate and then add as much chili to the top tortilla as you want.

Add cheese to the top of the chili.

Add other toppings as desired.

Enjoy!

Belinda


7 comments:

  1. Do you make these as individual servings or one big "taco" for the family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We usually make one plate for each person and vary the amount of tortillas to the appetite. I like more tortilla than chili because I like the taste of the tortilla.

    A small child would be unable to eat 3 tortillas and would most likely only to be able to eat half of that, so you could just cut it down to one of two tortillas for smaller appetites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Belinda. I wasn't sure if you made a stacked casserole type dish a la lasagna and then cut it up to serve or if it was on a smaller scale, just on individual plates. The first scenario, I suspect would be really messy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome. I should have explained it better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that sounds delicious! I'm definitely going to try this; I make a lot of chili and this is a nice variation on the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you think so, Pam. :) We feel the same way...definitely something different to do with chili. :)

    ReplyDelete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...