Each Friday here at Frugal Workshop, I love sharing the frugal wins, quiet savings, and simple strategies that helped us stretch our budget over the past seven days. It’s a gentle look back at the small things that make a big difference.
My Frugal Week
Last Friday Bailey and I went to a church yard sale and I ended up buying a NordicTrack GX 7.0 Recumbent Bike and a Schwinn 431 Ergonomic Elliptical machine. Both pieces have now been set up in our home gym downstairs. I go down there each morning and use them along with the walking track and get my exercise in for the day.
On Saturday it was raining, so rather than yard sale, we went to the anniversary sale of a thrift store where they were having a “fill a bag with clothes for $1.00” sale.
OMG! The timing was perfect as I’ve realized I needed to switch to a medium (size 10) in pants as the large (size 12) I’ve been wearing are getting too big. I also picked up several shirts in small and medium sizes. I ended up with thirty-five pieces, which fit into five bags and I paid $5 for the lot or right at 15 cents each! Score!
The thrift store even had free food for customers. We had popcorn, lemonade, bottled water, and brownies. They also had cookies and cupcakes for those who wanted them.
One thing I noticed this week when I was putting vegetable peelings in the compost pile was how many butterflies there were. I hadn’t realized they would be attracted to the compost, but they sure have been.
On Monday I had an appointment in Chattanooga for a mammogram. Taking advantage of that, I combined it with other errands to save on fuel costs. I went to Gordon’s for black olives, Sam’s Club for gas and toilet paper, Dollar Tree for vinegar, and Ollie’s for spices.
Thursday Bailey and I went out to vote.
The library called me on Wednesday evening because I won the grand prize drawing for the summer reading program! I picked my prize up on Friday which included a reusable shopping bag, button, blanket, stickers, squishy toy, dinosaur statue, stuffed dinosaur, magnet, all in the dinosaur theme, which was the theme of the summer reading program.
Earning Money
This week I tutored on Tuesday & Thursday, but my students start school on Friday, so tutoring will be scheduled around their time spent at school.
Avoiding Spending
Payday fell this week, so it was hard to avoid spending money as I paid all the bills.
Saving Money on Entertainment
This week I watched the film, Still Mine on Amazon Prime. The film is based on a true story where afarmer fights back when local authorities in rural New Brunswick hamper his efforts to build a cottage for his dementia-stricken wife. It was very good.
My Reading Nook ~ What I've been Reading This Week
After book club I started reading Granny’s Healing Ways, found here on Goodreads. This book is a return to the knowledge that once lived in every mountain home. The remedies reflect the resourcefulness of mountain folk who used whatever was at hand.
How was your week?
Thank you for dropping by my frugal blog, you are always welcome here.
We would love to hear all about your week in the comment section.
Belinda congrats on your health journey. just a note please check the acidity on the dollar tree vinegar. anything below 5% should never be used for preservation or cleaning . may I please inquire who you use for health insurance. you seemed pleased. we have a seriously high deductible and no annual checkups etc are covered. in addition the cost has gone up 3 times in the last 18 months. thanks
Thank you! Yes, I did know about the acidity with the vinegar, but thank you for mentioning it as others may not know. I use BC/BS for my health insurance. My daughter has insurance through the marketplace, so I understand about certain visits not being covered, unfortunately. Her costs have risen recently too.
Wow, what a great week you had. Super nice on the exercise equipment and all the new clothes. Congrats on such a wonderful weight loss. You have done such a good job and have stuck with it. You should be very proud.
Thank you so much, Cheryl. I work on it every day and I'm not going back to where I was before. I feel as if God gave me my life back and this is my second chance.
Can I ask how you are successfully losing weight. I have 50+ pounds to lose and having difficult time at 72. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you
I eat low carb, so no bread, pasta, flour, rice, and no sugar. I exercise everyday and do my best to get 10,000 steps in everyday and ride my bicycle every day too. I mostly eat protein, vegetables, and fruit. There are a lot of content creators out there posting on social media every day. They can be very inspiring. Find one you like and follow her or him for inspiration.
No GLP or any help…..you should be so proud. I was wondering about the injections or weight loss pills but so expensive and insurance does not cover, wondered how people felt on them.
Thank you. I think the weight loss injections would hurt my stomach as my stomach can be sensitive, and you're right they are expensive. I just feel so much better, which is my reward. I had both knees replaced and can walk all over the place now and try to get in 10,000 steps in each day. I already have 11,635 for today. I just have get up and go that I didn't have before and it feels really good.
Those were some fantastic wins this week! Well done. I have an elliptical & a treadmill (purchased during COVID, and the elliptical in particular gets a lot of action at my house). I have tendonitis in my hip that makes it harder to run on the treadmill, but it is a super convenient option when I am running regularly & it's raining outside. - Hawaii Planner
Your healthy changes sure yielded results. Im nit happy with myself regaining so much weight, but im back on it. What a find on the $1 a bag sale. To find useful things is amazing.
Sounds like a great week! What a find on the exercise equipment, and they are good brands so should last a long time. Yay on the clothes, and yay you on losing weight. You are amazing!
Belinda congrats on your health journey. just a note please check the acidity on the dollar tree vinegar. anything below 5% should never be used for preservation or cleaning .
ReplyDeletemay I please inquire who you use for health insurance. you seemed pleased. we have a seriously high deductible and no annual checkups etc are covered. in addition the cost has gone up 3 times in the last 18 months. thanks
Thank you! Yes, I did know about the acidity with the vinegar, but thank you for mentioning it as others may not know. I use BC/BS for my health insurance. My daughter has insurance through the marketplace, so I understand about certain visits not being covered, unfortunately. Her costs have risen recently too.
DeleteDear Belinda, I applaud 👏 you 😊 as you navigate your health journey. I will keep you in my prayers, dear friend. 🙏
ReplyDeleteThank you, Linda. You're the best!
DeleteWow, what a great week you had. Super nice on the exercise equipment and all the new clothes. Congrats on such a wonderful weight loss. You have done such a good job and have stuck with it. You should be very proud.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Cheryl. I work on it every day and I'm not going back to where I was before. I feel as if God gave me my life back and this is my second chance.
DeleteCan I ask how you are successfully losing weight. I have 50+ pounds to lose and having difficult time at 72. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you
ReplyDeleteI eat low carb, so no bread, pasta, flour, rice, and no sugar. I exercise everyday and do my best to get 10,000 steps in everyday and ride my bicycle every day too. I mostly eat protein, vegetables, and fruit. There are a lot of content creators out there posting on social media every day. They can be very inspiring. Find one you like and follow her or him for inspiration.
DeleteNo GLP or any help…..you should be so proud. I was wondering about the injections or weight loss pills but so expensive and insurance does not cover, wondered how people felt on them.
DeleteThank you. I think the weight loss injections would hurt my stomach as my stomach can be sensitive, and you're right they are expensive. I just feel so much better, which is my reward. I had both knees replaced and can walk all over the place now and try to get in 10,000 steps in each day. I already have 11,635 for today. I just have get up and go that I didn't have before and it feels really good.
DeleteThose were some fantastic wins this week! Well done. I have an elliptical & a treadmill (purchased during COVID, and the elliptical in particular gets a lot of action at my house). I have tendonitis in my hip that makes it harder to run on the treadmill, but it is a super convenient option when I am running regularly & it's raining outside. - Hawaii Planner
ReplyDeleteThank you! Oh, that is nice to have when the weather will not cooperate. I won't be running anytime soon as my poor body couldn't take it. LOL
DeleteYour healthy changes sure yielded results. Im nit happy with myself regaining so much weight, but im back on it. What a find on the $1 a bag sale. To find useful things is amazing.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great week! What a find on the exercise equipment, and they are good brands so should last a long time. Yay on the clothes, and yay you on losing weight. You are amazing!
ReplyDeletegreat book selections there, I need to see if I can find them.....and well done on the weight loss!!
ReplyDelete